• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Here we go again....HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know, Bill and Ben have recently been reunited, after a long spell apart due to fighting.
They are now both thrilled to be back together but we had a problem about 2 weeks ago or so when Ben (who has digestive issues going to back to his op) suddenly starting passing very soft poo. Off to the vet where we determined that he was fine and that he appears to be eating not only HIS veg, but Bill's too. An overdose of veg! Separated them for a few days, hay and dry food only for Ben along with probiotics and then back to normal. So put them back together although I separate them for veg time.
Now however, Ben's soft and runny poo problem has returned and I have no idea why. He hasn't lost any weight but feels quite warm to touch. He's only had access to HIS veg and that in a limited amount. I've split them up again and we're back on the dry diet and probiotics but does this mean he'll NEVER be able to stomach veggies without this problem?

I just wondered if anyone else has had experience like this or if any of you have any good ideas!

Squishy poos coud suggest gut motility problems as well as sensitivity to veggies.

My vet prescribes zantac 2mg/kg up to twice daily, withdrawal of veg for a few days and unlimited hay..(not much dried food) ..it works every time for my piggies. I also give 1.0ml fibreplex as it has probioitics and fibre in it and 20-40ml of critical care each day supplemented with Vit C (they eat it off a spoon)

One of my piggies had persistent problems and it was found on an exploratory op that he had developed adhesions following a previous op for neutering....(this is always a risk - most animals including us hoomans can develop adhesions after surgery)..... Part of his intestine had adhered to the lower end of his stomach and was preventing it emptying properly and hence affecting his gut motility.

Sadly Beechie had to be helped to The Bridge..for other reasons
His thread is here - please read all my posts including the PM results at the end which show that in fact he didn;t develop peritonitis from the op (as was thought on the day he was PTS) but instead showed signs of the chronic pneumonia of unknown cause that has taken all my piggies over the last 18 months
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58350

With hindsight I wish I hadn;t agreed to the second op (even though it finally identified the cause of his gut problems).....it may have been possible to maintain Beechie long term on zantac (and metacam if in pain) with careful and limited amounts of veggies each day....which is what I would suggest for your piggie

HTH
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back