Hesitant sort of biting

JayfeathersPets

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I have a boar and he kind of bites me. I made sure to wash my hands thoroughly but he still sniffs me a little and then slowly closes his teeth on my hand when I call him over (he comes to me, I don’t come to him). He also pulls back as if I’m a pea flake although I wash my hands. I can tell he is not being aggressive or fearful as he does it slowly, more like a test bite (but he still continues to do the same thing). Has anyone had this problem and know how to stop or reduce this behaviour?
Thanks in advanced!😁

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have a boar and he kind of bites me. I made sure to wash my hands thoroughly but he still sniffs me a little and then slowly closes his on my hand when I call him over (he comes to me, I don’t come to him). He also pulls back as if I’m a pea flake although I wash my hands. I can tell he is not being aggressive or fearful as he does it slowly, more like a test bite (but he still continues to do the same thing). Has anyone had this problem and know how to stop or reduce this behaviour?
Thanks in advanced!😁
He is likely exploring your hand to see whether it is edible with its new scent. Guinea pigs, like all rodents, don't have a vomit reflex but double the amount of taste buds to us and a much better sense of smell.
Use our piggy whispering tips to deal with it if you want him to stop.

Here is our guide, which deals with all various forms of biting, which you may find interesting: " Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?