• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hi, and have a nose round my new hutch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hiya, I'm Melora, I've been lurking round the GPforum every now and then for the past year or so, and thought it was about time I actually joined in. I've just renovated the piggies new hutch, so here's some photos...

(Ignore the dates, they were taken today but the camera's in a timewarp)

PICT0911.jpg

Outside view
(with next doors cat Molly, who is the spitting image of my cat, and likes to sneak in and steal food)
The hutch is, I believe, a Primrose Den from P@H, 5 x 2 x 2 foot approx.
I bought it in good condition from a guy on ebay - total bargain, £20 and he delivered it!
Plus about £14 for pet safe wood paint and 2 packs of vinyl floor tiles (should have gone to poundland, but I was being lazy and just got them when I got the paint!).
Two coats of paint applied by me, while attempting to stop my Luna and next door's Molly rubbing themselves on the hutch whilst it was still damp!
The whole floor is covered in vinyl tiles. I measured them and scored them so they have a bend in them and cover about 2cm up the hutch walls... forgot to get a picture before I put the newspaper down.

The girls are currently on newspaper, shavings and hay - I have samples of megazorb and ecobed on their way, will change to whichever one Paddi doesn't try to eat...

PICT0916.jpg

Inside view, with Paddi's bum.
The wooden nestbox was already in the hutch. The nordic cabin-thingy was form zooplus, has been in their run all summer but has a handy ramp for them to get on top of the nestbox. Might put a cuddle cup or similar up the top.

PICT0915.jpg

Paddi got the hump when she realised that Guinness had got up the top first. Paddi usually commanders any raised level, and refuses to let anyone else up there.

PICT0919.jpg

Guinness looking please with herself.
The hutch door is open, there isn't a gap for piggies to fall down when it is closed!
Somewhere in all that hay is Shammi, who declined to appear in any photos and set to work nomming...

PICT0918.jpg

Guiness again.

PICT0913.jpg

Peeking pig! Or just Paddi having a sulk...

PICT0914.jpg

Paddi posing for the camera.

Hi there :) I am loving the look of your piggies and hutch :) I do like the colour you chose :3

£20 for a hutch like that? Awesome! Wish I could find one that good for that much of a bargain @)

Oooo, I didn't think of that, a bit of decor would be cute!
Yes it was a complete bargain, it was on the for a starting price of £15, I emailed to get a quote for delivery (as the guy said he would deliver locally) and he offered it for a buy it now of £20 including the delivery, made my week! I have a converted chicken coop with run which they've been in all summer but I wanted them closer to the house so they are more sheltered and the inside of the coop is quite small for three.
Boyfriend actually chose the colour - I fancied purple but I have to agree the sage is nice.

More pics!

PICT0924.jpg

PICT0923.jpg

This little flap thing is for easy cleaning and brushing out poos - I covered the inside with bits of the vinyl tile to help protect it from wee.

PICT0927.jpg

Shammi finally came out to say hi! She is about 4, I got her from Hornchurch Animal Rescue, and she has slightly deformed feet from where she was neglected by a previous owner and they were urine scalded.

Guinness and Paddi were bought for me by friends after I lost both my 6 year old piggies within 5 days of each other.

PICT0925.jpg

3 happy piggums.

PICT0929.jpg

Luna saying "but I thought that was for me!", and trying to steal the pigs' grass.

That's lovely and your piggies are mighty fine :))
Be nice to maybe do a bit of stenciling on the hutch...I love to see a bit of accessorising on their homes, just makes it more personal :(|)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JIM-SHORE...400228772282?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item5d2f7e69ba

thank you for the link, i've been wanting to tart my boys hutch up ready for when they're out next year :)

which paint did you use on the hutch melora? it looks lovely, i've been wanting to find suitable paint for ages that's safe for the jinnywigs x

I love seeing your cat with them, didn't think they could get on with each other. Interesting interior for them, they're gorgeous. x)x)

Thank you everyone!

I used Ronseal Woodland Trust paint in Sage, which is pet safe once dry and has very low chemical levels.

I have a new tarpaulin and a large piece of hessian material coming to cover it - I've always used hessian sacking material for keeping my pigs warm in the winter as it offers extra wind protection and seems to wick away moisture as well as being warm.

The girls are happily settled in, and beng just outside the door its sheltered and not far for me to go in bad weather too :)

Thank you everyone!

I used Ronseal Woodland Trust paint in Sage, which is pet safe once dry and has very low chemical levels.

I have a new tarpaulin and a large piece of hessian material coming to cover it - I've always used hessian sacking material for keeping my pigs warm in the winter as it offers extra wind protection and seems to wick away moisture as well as being warm.

The girls are happily settled in, and beng just outside the door its sheltered and not far for me to go in bad weather too :)

thanks hun, been wanting to paint my hutch fr ages, but had no idea what paint was pet safe :) i'll definately be purchasing some for next year's hutch renovation! :) x

I think there is another one called cuprinol (?) and B&Q do their own one too (which comes in purple drool ).

The tarpauline and hessian sacking have arrived, I just used the offcut of my washing line to tie tarp to the back legs of the hutch so it doesn't blow away, and extra ties round the front legs to tie it down if its a windy night.

Oh, and Luna is very interested in the guinea pigs, but a bit nervous of them. When she was a kitten she poked Paddi on the bum with her paw, and Paddi turned round and took a few steps towards her - Luna wasn't much bigger than a guinea pig then and was quite scared! Silly cat.

What a beautiful spacious hutch and gorgeous piggies too! :)) x) x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back