• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hi. Wanna Get A Guinea Pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forum, as piggyfan as said your rabbit cage is far too small, it would only be suitable to take your bunny to the vets in your car but not for housing - there is a really good website here in the UK which give loads of great info on indoor bunny housing and is worth a look :)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

and the video from that site is great too

Agreed, this cage is far far to small. That cage would only be appropriate as a travel cage. Maybe you should focus on spending the money you would on guinea pigs and guinea pig supplies on appropriate housing for the rabbit you already have. I hope this doesn't come across as rude.

I am sure you know this but as rabbits and guinea pigs can't be keep together (as in freely roaming around in the same space) so if your bunny is free ranging in the house, you will need to consider where the piggies will live and whether they will have a large enough enclosed cage/run to get enough exercise daily or whether they would also need an area separate from your bunny to exercise.

Hope you don't mind all this advice, as we do want to help you with your queries :)

I'm in agreement with above, that cage is incredibly two small for your poor rabbits let alone guinea pigs. I don't have rabbit, but seeing as my two boys are in a cage over 150cm and there smaller than the normal rabbit... I certainly would not have them in that cage (doesn't look big enough for a hamster). Before you consider any other pet, please deal with the welfare needs of the ones you already have, and spend the money there to improve their quality of life - this would be far more appropriate.

Here is a comparison on what you have got and what ground roaming guinea pigs should have (never to mention the poor rabbit that cannot move and is bound to end up with muscle wastage and health problems!).
Unfortunately, we class your cage as a small hamster cage and as totally unsuitable for anything but a hospital or travel cage. It is frankly a scandal that these cages are still being sold to house guinea pigs and rabbits. :(
cage-sizes-4-jpg.17763

You should have a look through the "Housing and Enrichment" section on the forum to further enable you to understand the housing standards guinea pigs need to ensure their welfare.

As for your rabbit. Here are some links you should read to give you insight as to what makes your rabbits accommodation so inappropriate and how to fix it.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advice/rabbits/environment

I don't have rabbits & these were the first links I came across. I'm sure other members who do own rabbits will be able to help you.

Last edited:
i agree with others that you should concentrate on your rabbit first. that cage is extremely small. rabbits require as much exercise as a small dog. housing requirements are 36sq ft minimum. i also cannot see any hay or water in the cage? :(

I have a big 2 story hutch outside for my rabbit, I just had to bring him inside cause it's so cold. And my dad said he is pretty such he had like 2-3 guinea pigs In that size cage together. Do you have a pic of a good size cage?

And there is hay, water, and pellets in the cage. The bottom is just up to high so you can't see them. I take very good care of my rabbit.

image.jpg
This is a decent sized cage.

Recommendations have changed and increase for animal welfare. As Wiebke posted. RSPCA minimum for 1-2 is 120cm, but even that's not much space for two guinea pigs.

Please do not consider getting guinea pigs unless you can provide adequate care and housing. For your rabbit first, because that cage is so small, you need to research rabbit requirements. There are forums for this, as the welfare of your rabbit is more important at this time.

Last edited:
I can see you said that you have a double hutch outside and thats the cage you are using whilst you are having the rabbit inside. ..but its still too small.

Do you get the rabbit out alot in the day/night to run around?

If it's also used to having a double hutch it will get depressed being squashed up in that cage.

We all don't doubt you look after your rabbit, he looks healthy and clean but regardless of how short he is in that cage it still needs to be bigger :)

Yeah, we don't doubt you take good care of him, is just that there are things you can do better, but just like the rest of us! Everybody makes mistakes, but there will be always people who will help us in a good way, just to make us improve.

The cage is indeed too small, for the rabbit and even for one guinea pig. Its not like they don't fit in it, they surely do, but they will not be happy, because its too small and they can't run enough in there (even if they are nearly newborns). Its like... if you lived in a really small space, like a wardrove, you fit, but you won't be happy because theres no enough space for you to feel free and do your things.

I have a big 2 story hutch outside for my rabbit, I just had to bring him inside cause it's so cold. And my dad said he is pretty such he had like 2-3 guinea pigs In that size cage together. Do you have a pic of a good size cage?
Your rabbit cant live in this cage throughout the entire winter, even if you did give him time to run around during the day.
Also, i dont really understand what you meant in the bit about what your dad said, sorry. He kept 2-3 guinea pigs in the a cage the size of the one you posted?
Hope you take on board what everyone says to give your rabbit the best quality of life :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I think you really need to have a good look at all the information given.
The correct size cage for guinea pigs is crucial in order for them to live a happy, healthy life. Sadly most people assume when you say 'guinea pigs' a small cage kept in a bedroom. This is not the case at all, you kind of need like the space you have for yourself in a house, in the same context for a guinea pig. Not barely any room to twizzle around and do two steps forward, two steps back is appalling!

First of all male or female guinea pigs can both make excellent pets, the sex does not matter it depends on the piggy in question and I have 6 and I find they make wonderful pets but they do require a lot of attention and I clean mine every 3 days but I have very messy pigs plus I use fleece, the best cage type for a pig is a c and c cage and you can make it as big as you choose and you should get atleast 2 pigs because they do better with a friend or friends, as for the smell they can stink but its up to you because as long as you keep them clean and tidy they shouldent smell to bad but there will be a smell so you should atleast expect that, and that cage is way to small for guinea pigs even one, as for your bunny that cage is way to small for her/him you should get a different cage or rehome your bunny because thats not fair, my bunny is free range when I'm home and whem I'm not she lives in her 2 floor c and c cage which is giant and then in the summer she lives in her rabbit hutch which as plenty of space, think long and hard about adopting piggies because they need and deserve lots of attention so unless you can give them that theres no point in getting piggies not trying to judge or anything I was a beginner once as well and I hope you decide to get some piggies because theres lots of pigs needing loving homes but I just want you to be aware of the ins and outs of owing pigs.
Good Luck! Erin :luv::wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back