• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hibiscrub

ImmyH

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me.
One of my piggies has a little cut on her nose, probably caused by a nibble from her cage mate.
Bigger cage is on the way, but in the meantime I have been advised by the vet to put some hibiscrub on it.
My pig is very skittish and it is really difficult trying to bathe the wound with one hand and hold a wriggling pig in the other.
Does anyone have any advice about how to easily apply ointments? It isn’t a deep cut and has scabbed over so I am wondering how much longer I need to apply hibiscrub for.
Thank you very much in advance for your help- it has been a stressful 48 hours!

It's just to keep it clean and prevent infection, but if it has scabbed over, then there is probably no need to continue cleaning the wound. However, dipping a cotton bud in the solution and dabbing it on the wound is probably the easiest way to do it

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me.
One of my piggies has a little cut on her nose, probably caused by a nibble from her cage mate.
Bigger cage is on the way, but in the meantime I have been advised by the vet to put some hibiscrub on it.
My pig is very skittish and it is really difficult trying to bathe the wound with one hand and hold a wriggling pig in the other.
Does anyone have any advice about how to easily apply ointments? It isn’t a deep cut and has scabbed over so I am wondering how much longer I need to apply hibiscrub for.
Thank you very much in advance for your help- it has been a stressful 48 hours!

Once it is scabbed over, you can stop applying hibiscrub. You can always apply it with a cotton bud if that is easier for you and you do not have another person to hold your piggy and distract them with something to eat. See your vet again in the hopefully unlikely case the wound is looking puffy/hot to the touch or there is pus forming underneat the scab but piggies are generally good healer and most surface scratches heal without problems.

An alternative mild antiseptic is saline solution, which you can get sterile from a pharmacy or make at home by stirring in 1 teaspoon into 250 ml or 1/2 pint of boiled cooled water in a pinch.
First Aid Kit: Easily available non-medication support products for an emergency

I’m not an expert in this topic, but one of ours had a cut on the rump. We put saline solution like Wiebke said, to help keep it clean and Neosporin to help it scab over, because it was an open wound. I would agree with Piggies&buns, if it is already scabbed over, there is no need for the stress that may come with taking a skittish piggy out of the cage to apply the hibiscrub. It does depend on what your vet says though since they know the specific situation, although I don’t know why they would advise to continue putting it on a closed wound.

Back