• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hide question

OneDaySale

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello!

I don't post often, but I do refer people here as a source of reliable info (the pinned posts helped me a lot).

I've had my boars for over a year now, and they're nicely settled in.

My question: Outside of this community, I've seen several people say that you should limit the number of hides to "encourage" GPs to be bolder/less shy. I have not done this (have two hides, two hammocks, and a hay bin in a 2x5 C&C), and it seems really counter-intuitive to me. But... I've now seen it said several times, so I wanted to check here for reasons for/against limiting hides so I can discuss it from a more informed perspective.

Thanks!

My boys have two 5x2 floors. One has lots of hammocks/hides/cuddle cups and the other has some but more zooming space. Both have water and hay. I let them choose.

Thanks all for the confirmation of how I felt. I really don't understand their logic, but three people in a week all said that's what they do.

It isn't as if they sleep in the open in the wild.

hello!

I don't post often, but I do refer people here as a source of reliable info (the pinned posts helped me a lot).

I've had my boars for over a year now, and they're nicely settled in.

My question: Outside of this community, I've seen several people say that you should limit the number of hides to "encourage" GPs to be bolder/less shy. I have not done this (have two hides, two hammocks, and a hay bin in a 2x5 C&C), and it seems really counter-intuitive to me. But... I've now seen it said several times, so I wanted to check here for reasons for/against limiting hides so I can discuss it from a more informed perspective.

Thanks!

Hi

Thank you.

Guinea pigs are prey animals who are wired to feel exposed to predators when out in the open. Guinea pigs have developed by living in grass tunnels in thick undergrowth and moving in single file along paths through it twice daily around dawn and dusk between their denning area and their various feeding grounds when temperatures are at their most moderate and predators are not at their most active. Being out in the open turns them into easy prey for stooping raptors or larger predators. This instinct is still alive in our domestic piggies.

Removing hides is cruel; piggies need a refuge whenever they are spooked by a sudden loud noise, a strange smell or an unexpected movement. We do actually recommend to cover the cage initially with a sheet or blanket over the top and 2-3 sides of the cage in order to give them that added sense of proctection and safety while they are settling in and are encouraged to explore sooner and farther when it is quiet and they feel safe to come out.
New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

Some piggies prefer to lurk under cover all their lives while others will be happy to sleep out in the open once settled. It is much kinder to allow them the choice that keeps them at their most relaxed and happy. I would never wish to force prey animals to live against their natural instincts for my own selfish human enjoyment. It is one of these human-centric recommendations that totally fail to take their pets' species instincts and needs into account.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

PS: You may find the thematically ordered collection of our information guides helpful. Here is the access link, which you my want to bookmark for quick access; any new guides are added to it. It makes things easier to find. You can also access our various information guides via the Info shortcut on the expanded top bar.
Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

We also have a smaller selection which focuses on the practical needs of new owners: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Hi

Guinea pigs are prey animals who are wired to feel exposed to predators when out in the open. Removing hides is cruel; they need a refuge whenever they are spooked to feel safe by a sudden loud noise or strange smell.
We do actually recommend to cover the cage initially with a sheet or blanket over the top and 2-3 sides in order to give them that added sense of proctection and safety while they are settling in and are encouraged to explore sooner when it is quiet.
New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

Some piggies prefer to lurk under cover all their lives long while others will be happy to sleep out in the open once settled. It is much kinder to allow them the choice that keeps them at their most relaxed and happy. I would never wish to force prey animals to live against their natural instincts for my own selfish human enjoyment.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

PS: You may find our thematic collection of our information guides helpful. Here is the access link, which you my want to bookmark for quick access; any new guides are added to it. It makes things easier to find. You can also access our various information guides via the Info shortcut on the expanded top bar.
Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

We have a smaller selection which focuses on the practical needs of new owners: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners
Thanks for putting into words what I felt, but couldn't articulate!

Back