• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hides and beds

MisoSovp

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello friends! My guinea pigs (1 boar and 4 sows) are going to be getting a massive cage upgrade when I move into my own home. They are currently in a 4x7 C&C and will be moved to something bigger (not 100% sure on sizing, but at least 3-4x bigger). Since there will be a lot of room I will be adding 1/2 small dog beds for them and I was also thinking of maybe adding a rabbit hide or two, reason being is that I found some that are much larger than guinea pig hides/bed and thought it would be nice to give something comfy with space. My question is, if the hide can fit them, is it safe for multiple piggies to be in the same hide at once? Or is it likely they may fight over it? Of course, there will be enough hides/beds for each pig to have 1 each and they have never fought over anything before, but I wanted to double check first :)

Thanks!
Rin

In general I would personally avoid larger hides and stick with smaller ones that offer guinea pigs more of a sheltered or secure feeling.
Larger wooden houses with multiple exits would be ok though, as that way no one can get trapped.
With a lot of space I would use things like tunnels and fleece forests that don't take up too much floor space but encourage the piggies to run and explore.

You could test out your theory with small/larger cardboard box hides. Do they go into individual ones? Or do some like to share. My 3 don't share!
3 of a kind.jpeg ... unless it's the grass pile! Its George's grass.jpg

If the piggies choose to be in a hide together then yes it’s safe provided there are multiple ways out.

I use bendy log bridges primarily but I do have an elmato three exit hide which is big enough for two piggies, but my boys will not go in the same hide together anyway

My vote would go for one each of everything but some big enough for a couple of piggies, should they want to be together. My two ladies seldom choose to sit together, but vary occasionally I find them in the one fleece tent even tho they have one each.

I have used ikea dolls beds for mine very sucessfully. They love to go under them.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I was thinking of the bigger hides mainly because my Boar is extremely spoiled (As he should be) and thinks he's a king (he is, he runs my house and is in charge of my whole family), when he was living alone I had a time where his hides were all in the wash so instead, I draped a blanket in his cage (In a C shape so it started on the floor, went up the side and over so it created a little den) he loved that set up and all of the space and comfort it provided, and since then he gets a little angry when he has a hide and not that set up ^^' I think for him I might still have a hide or two for him (he's very big) as well as his little den so he has a choice :)

Rin

Back