• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hideys /pigloos/wood Huts In Hot Weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, this will be our first summer with piggies (got 2 last oct and 1 in jan). They live indoors and have a combination of plastic pigloos and fluffy beds but I believe these may be too hot in summer? What is advisable? Wooden huts? We have one already we use at "pentime" in the evenings as well as a wooden log shelter, so if these are ok just need to buy one more.

Hi, this will be our first summer with piggies (got 2 last oct and 1 in jan). They live indoors and have a combination of plastic pigloos and fluffy beds but I believe these may be too hot in summer? What is advisable? Wooden huts? We have one already we use at "pentime" in the evenings as well as a wooden log shelter, so if these are ok just need to buy one more.
Bump

What are your plans long term, just to keep them outside during the summer months, just outside during the day?
Depends what you are planning.

Plastic houses are not advisable, they will get far too hot definitely.
I would recommend using the wooden stick bendy things, as they have multiple use. The use of ceramic tiles are good, as wipe clean, and they can lay on them to get cool. It's important to know that even though it can be warm/hot, the temperature can drop quickly as well.

Does that help any?

Reactions: A&T
What are your plans long term, just to keep them outside during the summer months, just outside during the day?
Depends what you are planning.

Plastic houses are not advisable, they will get far too hot definitely.
I would recommend using the wooden stick bendy things, as they have multiple use. The use of ceramic tiles are good, as wipe clean, and they can lay on them to get cool. It's important to know that even though it can be warm/hot, the temperature can drop quickly as well.

Does that help any?
Yes thank you, they are indoors long term.

Awww, no problems, then. I make sure they have a home from home when they are outdoors, hay, water, dried food and a place to hide. Somewhere dry if their is a sudden outburst of rain, shelter, something comfy to sit or lay on. A real selection for them. If it's really warm (I keep a thermometer on their hutch and run) as a secondary back up (I'm menopausal) so it's a sense check if it's hot or it's me, then frozen water bottles if necessary.

When you say frozen water bottles, what do you mean /do?

Fill up an old drinks water bottle / soft drink bottle with water. Place in the freezer and leave it to freeze. I always add a pinch of salt to the water as it keeps the water frozen for longer before it melts.

On hot days, place the frozen bottle in to an old sock and put in to your piggies cage. Some pigs like to lay against it to help keep them cool.

When you say frozen water bottles, what do you mean /do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back