• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hinged Access Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, about to extend a mezzanine floor into a full floor, but to do this will need access for cleaning to ground floor ie a couple of hinged doors. I did look at this when I was building but when I tried bulldog clips they sprang off with very little pressure. Anyone have any other options or tips please? Thanks

You can use cable ties as hinges. Use the thicker ones that are 8 inches long. The thin, 4 inch is not strong enough.

You can keep the doors closed with bungee cords.

You can use cable ties as hinges. Use the thicker ones that are 8 inches long. The thin, 4 inch is not strong enough.

You can keep the doors closed with bungee cords.
Thank you. I've only ever seen large bungee cord (I'm thinking of those things you tie luggage onto your roof rack with?) presume you mean a small version of these ? So if I had 2 mid section panels opening like doors (rather than drop down panels) I would use thick cable ties in the sides of the doors, do the bungee go right across both panels side to side? (the base of this section will be upon a table top so no grid below to attach to) Thanks

I've only used the bungee to hook to a drop down door. You might want to experiment with it. Mine is a small bungee cord (about 6" long).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404612634869.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404612634869.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 7
I've only used the bungee to hook to a drop down door. You might want to experiment with it. Mine is a small bungee cord (about 6" long).
Ah I see. Your opening panel is near a corner, mine will be centre, but it's still given me a better idea than bulldog clips. I could get a bungee (or 2) which fits right across 2 opening panels. That might work. Thank you, that's really helpful!

You're welcome! I'd love to see pics when you're done.
Hi there, thank you for your bungee idea, I have 3 across both door panels with a couple of small clips just to keep the overlapping panels level. I put in an extra half panel next to one door to allow enough to overlap. I pull them fairly tight so there is not too much give, as one piggies leans on wall when food is coming! So far so good!
Even got enough room for 1 more rescue piggie!
Thanks again, brilliant idea.

Attachments

• 20150509_211534.jpg
    20150509_211534.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150507_220603.jpg
    20150507_220603.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back