Hip malformation. Poor Pip...

LunaticPoodle

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 9, 2021
Messages
266
Reaction score
547
Points
505
Location
Finland
Hi,
so Pip has been poorly for a while without an apparent reason, last week he had horrible diarrhea and needed around the clock care, then he seemed better, if a bit subdued, but day before yesterday it happened again.
We took him to the vet and I asked her to investigate everything possible, but when she took another x-ray of his body, it showed terrible malformation in his hip bones, on both sides- they have extra growths and the growth on the left side broke off.
These weren't visible about a month ago or less, when he got his first x-ray that showed arthritis in his right knee (he has always had poor control of that leg, and I thought that explained it).
Anyway, she said it's obviously very painful for him and even with an extremely difficult surgery, they would grow back. She advised me to put him to sleep.
Obviously we're devastated, he's only 2 years old and the sweetest piggy you can imagine. He's such a cuddlebug and loves sleeping in my shirt or lap. He's happy, he's curious, he's playful. But he's also clearly uncomfortable now, and if he does not improve with a lot of painkillers, which would prolong his life only for a while at that dose, then there's nothing else to do. I'm only willing to see for a few days if the painkillers help him to not be in pain- he does move around as usual on them, but even for a very quiet and calm piggy, he's sleeping a lot and not like himself. I'm also afraid the detatched bone fragment is going to injure him further when he walks around.

Can somebody share their experience with a similar problem please?
Thank you all.
 

Attachments

  • 20250221_181037.webp
    20250221_181037.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0011.webp
    DSC_0011.webp
    64 KB · Views: 2
I'm so sorry you and Pip find yourselves in this sad situation. I've not had a guinea pig with this condition but send you my very best wishes at a difficult time.
 
Hi,
so Pip has been poorly for a while without an apparent reason, last week he had horrible diarrhea and needed around the clock care, then he seemed better, if a bit subdued, but day before yesterday it happened again.
We took him to the vet and I asked her to investigate everything possible, but when she took another x-ray of his body, it showed terrible malformation in his hip bones, on both sides- they have extra growths and the growth on the left side broke off.
These weren't visible about a month ago or less, when he got his first x-ray that showed arthritis in his right knee (he has always had poor control of that leg, and I thought that explained it).
Anyway, she said it's obviously very painful for him and even with an extremely difficult surgery, they would grow back. She advised me to put him to sleep.
Obviously we're devastated, he's only 2 years old and the sweetest piggy you can imagine. He's such a cuddlebug and loves sleeping in my shirt or lap. He's happy, he's curious, he's playful. But he's also clearly uncomfortable now, and if he does not improve with a lot of painkillers, which would prolong his life only for a while at that dose, then there's nothing else to do. I'm only willing to see for a few days if the painkillers help him to not be in pain- he does move around as usual on them, but even for a very quiet and calm piggy, he's sleeping a lot and not like himself. I'm also afraid the detatched bone fragment is going to injure him further when he walks around.

Can somebody share their experience with a similar problem please?
Thank you all.

BIG HUGS

I am so sorry. I am not familiar with this issue affecting piggies, and especially not to that degree; only in humans (my mum has in her toes and hub behind his kneecap). Unfortunately there is no hip replacement for guinea pigs. :(

However, skinnies are unfortunately a designer breed where there is good money to be made by unscrupulous breeders, so genetic defects from careless breeding are very sadly more common. I cannot say how sorry - and how angry I am - at the price that poor Pip has to pay with having the most virulent form possible just for sake of making some extra money.

Please treasure every day you have with Pip and create special moments. It's not just treats, toys and cuddles; it's about sharing time consciously and filling with positive, constructive content. Your grieving process has already started the moment you have got the bad news. The shock and the emotional turmoil you are currently experiencing are the second worst time apart from the loss itself. Please give yourself time and space to not be OK and let it all sink in if that is possible.

A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

With your permission I am moving your thread to our End of Life and Bereavement Support section where we provide ongoing community support for you with our understanding and practical tips in this difficult time for as long as you need it.
Please bookmark this thread so you can find it again quickly whenever you need it.

My heart goes out to you and poor Pip.
 
Sorry to hear this. He looks so sweet smiling up at you in that picture. It's so sad that things have taken such a turn. Wishing you comfort ❤️🙏
 
Hi dear Wiebke, thank you as always for your wisdom. Yes of course, move the thread wherever it can be most useful.
I got Pip when he was a few months old, from a well-meaning lady who got him from her neighbour, so I don't really know where he comes from unfortunately. I thought skinnies were only prone to heart problems, turns out I had a lot to learn still :(
I don't think the pain killers are going to make enough difference for him and we're preparing to say goodbye in the next few days. At least this time we can be sure to take him to his vet who will be gentler and won't cause him unnecessary pain, and I'll be able to stay with him until he passes. Poor bug.

Thank you everyone for your kindness.
 
Hi dear Wiebke, thank you as always for your wisdom. Yes of course, move the thread wherever it can be most useful.
I got Pip when he was a few months old, from a well-meaning lady who got him from her neighbour, so I don't really know where he comes from unfortunately. I thought skinnies were only prone to heart problems, turns out I had a lot to learn still :(
I don't think the pain killers are going to make enough difference for him and we're preparing to say goodbye in the next few days. At least this time we can be sure to take him to his vet who will be gentler and won't cause him unnecessary pain, and I'll be able to stay with him until he passes. Poor bug.

Thank you everyone for your kindness.

Yes, poor mite indeed. He's such a cutie! :love:

You have given him the happiest of lives. We are here for you through the whole time and as much as you want to be able having a place where you can unload and share your pain with people who understand what you are experiencing.
 
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Bone pain isn't fun. Unfortunately once they're in significant pain it's very difficult to get it under control in my experience with osteodystrophy, if it's anything like that. The only thing I could suggest differently would be trying to reset his pain receptors with a small dose of ketamine, I had an old lady of nearly 9 who suffered from hip dysplasia and spondylosis of the spine and this gave her a few comfortable days to get extra pain relief on board and give it a chance to kick in, but she did end up losing the use of both back legs eventually. She was still happily moving around and eating, so it very much depends on your piggies tolerance.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can for him, I hope he's able to get comfortable, it sounds like he's had a wonderful life no matter how short.
 
Sending you massive hugs. What an awful diagnosis. I’m so sorry. But you’ve given Pip a wonderful life. ❤️
 
Thank you all so much ❤️
Right now he's up and eating, and even tried to do a very tiny popcorn, but the truth is, he's just not the same happy piggy and he's clearly tired after a few minutes of standing up, so if tomorrow isn't any better, we won't insist any further.
Yesterday when we drove back from the vet, there was a full massive rainbow in the sky, as if it was welcoming him already.
 
It's such a difficult decision to make especially for such a young piggy, but it's the right one for him as he is in so much pain. It's been made out of love.
 
I have no experience of this but we are all sending genuine love to you both at this heartbreaking time 💔
Cherish each moment x
 
Hi all, thank you for all the kind messages.
Pip crossed the Rainbow Bridge last tuesday, pain medication was becoming ineffective and there was really nothing else to do. I miss him terribly but I am relieved that we didn't wait until he was in too much pain. He fell asleep in my hoodie warm and safe. ❤️
 
I am so very sorry it's heartbreaking when we lose them 💔
Popcorning happily over The Rainbow Bridge 🌈 in fields of all of his favourite treats and pain free 🌈
 
Oh yes, he used to popcorn until he capsized for a clean cage and fresh hay. He is reunited with his baby brother Eddie and his best friend/adoptive grandpa Rutto
 
Hi all, thank you for all the kind messages.
Pip crossed the Rainbow Bridge last tuesday, pain medication was becoming ineffective and there was really nothing else to do. I miss him terribly but I am relieved that we didn't wait until he was in too much pain. He fell asleep in my hoodie warm and safe. ❤️

BIG HUGS

You cannot change what he has been born with but you have transformed Pip's life with your love and care and have made it worth living.
He doesn't know that it could/should have been a lot longer, only that he was loved, secure and looked after.

We cannot control what our piggies come with and when or what from they die; we only can give them best time within our means while they are in our care - and you have given Pip those happy todays that piggies measure a good life by. You have not failed Pip in any way.

He will always have a firm place in your heart and precious memories; the happy ones as well once you are over the worst of your grieving process.

Be kind with yourself as you grieve.

Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
 
Thank you ❤️ Last week was tough but honestly I'm ok now. He was able to enjoy his last days and as far as he knows, he fell asleep in his favourite safe place with cuddles and kisses.
To be completely honest Finnish is not my first language and it took me a moment and some reading to fully understand his diagnosis.
The arthritis and wonky-shaped hips were one problem, the growths on his bones were another and would have eventually progressed to cancer. Given they had grown from invisible to a significant size in under a month, and he was already starting to lose the benefits of pain medications, it was the right time to let him go. From what I've been able to find, bone cancer is rare in piggies especially at his young age, but I've known enough people to know it's not a walk in the park.
 
Back
Top