• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hissing fighting sow's HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4piggiepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two youngest sow's started hissing at each other and walking round the cage and loud chattering definately not teeth chatter just like they do when sitting on you but loude,r then they flew at each other then seperated i saw it so i sat and watched them and they did it again so i seperated them but what do i do now they've alway's got on they have lot's of space and 3 other pig's in the cage it's just odd but I'm too scared to put them back together.

Did they actually draw blood? If not then they might just need to calm down and be rebonded later in a neutral environment. Is there one that is causing problems in general or is it just that they don't like each other? Have they had problems in the past?

I couldn't see if one started it, but they have never had any problem's before, they didn't draw blood but i think only because i stopped it i put my hand in the way and they both ran up the ramp but carried on so i took one out the cage,I'm just surprised they have lived together for age's

Both in heat at the same time perhaps? Lots of hormones etc. I would let them cool off and reintroduce them tomorrow. If they have been friends for a while they will probably get over it.

Hello,
Do guinea pigs bleed in heat? Mine are only 8 weeks old, is this too early for them to be in heat? They run round their cage like a little mentalist and squabble. Could this be the reason?

yeah mine argue on and off and can rumble and fly at each other, but never draw blood - i think it only happens when they are in heat also - i have 3 living together mum and 2 daughters and they have lived together 3 years come February, so they have always been like this on and off and not seen any blood, so you might be ok x

Maybe because they are so young they might just be trying to find out who will be boss pig! Althoug I have no doubt it'll be the biggest, my Barbara! She's just mental! Popcorns all the time, mweeps when I scrunch her dandelion packet! Hopefully it's just common commerardery!

are you defo sure they are not boars? if 2 boars are together with other sows they will really kick off on each other?

if they are sows then its likely they are both in heat, i had to split my trio of 2yrs after they just turned on each other

Yeah defo. We purchased them from an identifiable breeder who has over 30 piggies. They don't kick off all the time, only probably 3 times a week, I know that sounds a bit precise, but that is all I've noticed since having them.

Hop it is just heat, and hopefully won't have to seperate them. Thanks for you comment

guinea pigs come into season every 15-17 days and last a day or two, they do not bleed whilst in season. i think they are just working out who's the boss. as long as blood isnt drawn i would leave them togetehr to sort it out amongst themselves.

Girls can have spats when there is a change in the hierarchy, or an attempt to challenge the hierarchy. As long as there are no bites, leave them to sort things out; these situations usually end peacefully and settle down.

We call situations like that "handbags at dawn". :))

Yeah I have left them to it and they seem fine, they are only a few month's old so haven't been bothered about about where they are in the group til now, I will just keep an eye on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back