• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Holiday

Rosie+fcdbbt

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm going on holiday in november for ten days - Normaly my dad would care for my pigs(4) which I'm fine with. However this time they will be left in the care of my sister as the rest of the family are away aswell. She's happy to feed them, water them and give them hay and veggies, the only problem is she wont clean them out! I usually have them on fleece beeding, but with that i normally change it every 3 days and it really cant go longer than that. At the moment i am trying out aubiose- to see how long i can leave it without cleaning it out, i feel it will probably last 5-6 days.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what i could do. I really need to figure this out before i go - i feel so bad for leaving my babies

Hi guys,

I'm going on holiday in november for ten days - Normaly my dad would care for my pigs(4) which I'm fine with. However this time they will be left in the care of my sister as the rest of the family are away aswell. She's happy to feed them, water them and give them hay and veggies, the only problem is she wont clean them out! I usually have them on fleece beeding, but with that i normally change it every 3 days and it really cant go longer than that. At the moment i am trying out aubiose- to see how long i can leave it without cleaning it out, i feel it will probably last 5-6 days.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what i could do. I really need to figure this out before i go - i feel so bad for leaving my babies
The only thing I could recommend which maybe could go without a clean for a week would be wood shavings but it would depend on the size of cage etc.What is the reason your sister won’t clean them out? Would she be willing to do a poo patrol each day?

Their cages are 2ft by 8ft. 2 pigs per cage. she wont clean them out because she dont do poop, I'm lucky she said she'd feed them for me.

Can you send them to boarding while you are away? I’m not sure of any type of bedding that could be left for 10 days I’m afraid.

I'd prefer not to send them away, dont like the thought of me not knowing whats going on with them. I might have to see if there is anyone who could maybe come to my house and look after them.

The only thing I could recommend which maybe could go without a clean for a week would be wood shavings but it would depend on the size of cage etc.What is the reason your sister won’t clean them out? Would she be willing to do a poo patrol each day?
Poo patrol each day would be best, I use wood shavings for my two, and during winter they don’t get time in the run because it’s cold outside so they need cleaning out every 4-5 days (5 days maximum). I’ve never used fleece so not sure how long this could be left without being changed but my understanding is you need to sweep out the poop daily? I’m not sure how long it can be left wet though. They definitely can’t b left for over 10 days, it will be bad for their health :td:

Back