Home and roost hutch ramp question

Lacemakingmum

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pip and Squeak have now been here a fortnight - how did that happen, but they won’t use their ramp to get to the bottom half of their hutch. (Or if I put them in the bottom use it to get upstairs.) I’ve lifted the end up so the slope is gentler but wondered if anyone had taught piggies to use a ramp in an outdoor hutch, and if so how.

KathT

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I don’t know of a way to make them use the ramp apart from just leaving them to find it for themselves. Most of mine will use ramps if they’re not too steep - it’s just a confidence thing I think. Older pigs tend not to use them too - well, my older ones weren’t interested anyway!

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
To be honest not that many piggies are keen to use ramps. I bought a wooden ramp for my c&c cage and it's turned into an expensive chew toy. Lol. None of My piggies have ever used it.

Dill&Pepper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve had the same dilemma. I covered the wood with carpet to make it grippier and now my 2 youngsters (15 months) bomb up and down it. One got the hang straight away, the other took a couple of weeks. My older girl (5 years) is still unwilling, but I’m hoping she’ll grow more confident. I’ve just made sure there is hay, water and cosy places to sleep on both levels.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I added a side to mine and carpeted the ramp as it was just plywood which was slippy

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Or you could try securely fixing a tunnel going up the ladder. That way they can use the tunnel but won't be able to see that they're getting higher up. I've never tried this but might be worth a go.