• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Homemade wooden cage

Monykutzu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone! We are in the process of building our indoor cage and although we cut everything to size when we were about the put the walls together, they seem quite tall. It's a one floor cage and the height of the walls is 40cm. Does this seem right? Do we actually need them to be this tall to prevent escapees or could they be shorter? A couple of walls will be perspex but the wood ones make it look like a fortress.

I'd want it tall enough so that if you have any houses near the edge, they can't get on them and then jump out. So being quite tall would be a good thing

One c&c grid is 35cm tall, so 40cm is not particularly overkill.
A piggy can, if they feel inclined, jump 30cm. If a piggy jumped on top of a hidey roof (as one of mine does), then they could get out.
I have mine grids two high (so 70cm) as one of mine is a rather adventurous

We are almost ready to house the piggies but I am wondering what height does everyone fixes the water bottles/hay racks? My piggies will be 2/3 months so I don't want to put them too high for them to reach...

I think you’ll find when the piggies are in their new home that you might adjust things anyway - my piggies don’t eat hay from hay racks so I just pile it up and fill boxes with it - I have a water bottle for each and one is low and the other is a bit higher. ( can be reached easily tho) They use both but not often - they eat their pellets from a sturdy ceramic bowl one for each so no competing ! I tend to scatter their veg/ herbs in their pen at tea time. That works for them and me but we did have a few adjustments before we settled into our routine. Good luck and I’m sure you’re very excited ! 🥰

Back