• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Homework!

Reaction score
So.... in class I was told to choose a topic and research about- I chose guinea pigs. I already know quite a bit but then we were asked to pick a few questions to research into more detail and was hoping you guys can be of some help? The questions:
1. Are there any personality differences in the different breeds? (obviously all guinea pigs have their own personality but could be any specific ones?)
2. How strong is their health
3. Basically any info about cuys (size, predators, what it eats, what eats it etc..)

This may seem like cheating but we were told to research so I guess this is research?😂😂 would appreciate the help!
Thanks x

* by 'cuy' i mean wild guinea pig- if anyone can tell me the real name of a wild guinea pig that would also be great!

The scientific name for guinea pigs is Cavia Porcellus. Their nearest relative in the wild is the Cavia Aperea. Hope this helps :)

Cavia Aperea
Wildmeerschweinchen-06.jpg

@MattDaMan may be able to help with the question about cuts as he’s from Ecuador and I think cuts come from that part of the world.

Re personality traits, I haven’t noticed any particular breed having specific traits but my experience is limited. Personality seems to be about the individual animal rather than the breed.
Hope the project goes well

Personality I think is down to the individual piggie although I have read that certain breeds are more inclined towards certain traits. Sheltie’s for example are supposed to be more relaxed and easy going pigs. I’ve only had one Sheltie and he was way chilled but one is hardly a population study!

I have two rexoid piggies at the minute, one teddy cross (Mousse) and one that could be teddy or texel cross (Butterscotch, he’s a bubba). Mousse is a certified Naughty Adventure Pig, if he doesn’t like something he will let you know, usually by nibbling, and he often tries to popcorn off the sofa or my lap when I’m holding him. He tips all the food out of the bowls before eating it and pulls all the hay out of the hay rack, for no particular purpose! He also likes to sit in his own poops if he gets chance. Butterscotch on the other hand is very gentle, he likes to be cuddled and doesn’t want to explore, he also eats every last little crumb of food and while Mousse will literally take food out of Butter’s mouth, Butter will just go get more food rather than pinch it back. Butter also uses one particular corner of the cage as his own personal litter tray. Total opposites and bother adorable in their own way 😍

Back