• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Honey Bee Had An Eye Poke :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberries

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I haven't been around for a while...but Penny and Honey are still alive and well...they are 3.5 years old now...

We had our FIRST vet visit today for a specific issue...Honey had an eye poke...and had an ulcer develop...at first it was just a little tiny unevenness to the gloss of her eye...the next day it was kind of puffed up (just a small spot on her eye) so I brought her into the vet the next day...yep, eye ulcer. She hasn't shown any sign of pain, no change in behavior or eating...she got a full exam and the vet said she looked great for her age, although she is a little "plump"...(yep, aren't all well loved pampered piggies a bit plump?...I am guessing Yes!)

She now has an antibiotic drop for me to put in 3x per day and some eye lubricant. Poor piggy. Hope it heals up quick...and soooooo glad I noticed it so very early!

Here is a pigture of Honey...this was yesterday...you can't even see the little bump on her eye in this picture (it is right under the light reflection in the lower half of the black part), but it sure is cute so I thought I'd share
IMG_5957.webp !

Welcome back!

I am sorry for the eye poke! Thankfully, eye injuries generally tend to heal pretty quickly. If you struggle to get the drops in, try to distract Honey with a bowl of food and sneak the drops in from behind. Guinea pigs can't multitask once they are absorbed with stuffing themselves! it is going to get a lot easier once the eye is no longer painful and tender. ;)

Welcome back!

I am sorry for the eye poke! Thankfully, eye injuries generally tend to heal pretty quickly. If you struggle to get the drops in, try to distract Honey with a bowl of food and sneak the drops in from behind. Guinea pigs can't multitask once they are absorbed with stuffing themselves! it is going to get a lot easier once the eye is no longer painful and tender. ;)
Hi Wiebke...I just finished up with you on my other thread and here you are again...ha! I was just checking in on my 2 threads this morning... So Honey is a doll to put drops in...she is the wet noodle of my girls...as soon as you pick her up she is frozen in fear...won't eat, won't move, won't blink...makes it super easy to cut her nails and put drops in her eye...it's like she just gives up...she has been like that since the day I got her...the vet couldn't believe her...it was actually kind of funny...Honey looked like a pool of soft goo in the metal bowl they put her to weigh her in...her little head drooped over the side...like one of those cat video's where the cats take on the shape of their container...that was Honey. She even let the vet open her mouth and look at her teeth! She isn't lethargic from the eye injury...literally, she has been like that for 3 years...if you hold her or take her out of her cage she turns to goo..in her cage she is totally fine (well fine for her...she still won't let me pet her...but she does her normal piggy life things) It kind of just seems like she is always depressed. Again, I think a huspig would have helped her mood. She is super sweet though.

That look on her face in the picture...it is so just like her personality...like "oh no...I think they are going to eat me...eek...yep, this is it...I'm a goner"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back