• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Honey's bonding not going too well

Status
Not open for further replies.

helen105281

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Honey has shown signs of wanting to meet the group so we decided to try tonight. She is showing extremely dominant behaviour with teeth chattering and even booted Gertie out of her pigloo, though Gert did do it back to her in return. She joined the group briefly for veggies but then wandered off hotly pursued by Izzie who just wanted to eat her ears as she does with everybody.

She has just had cuddles (yes we finally have a cuddly piggy) and I have put her on the floor to have another wander.

Should we put her back in her run for the night or leave her with the group? all chattering and signs of dominance have been from her.

Update: we decided to put her back in her own space for the night as she really wasn't happy. Will try again and if things don't work out we will build her a 3x2 C&C and let her interact with the others through the grids for now. It may all work out ok though we will keep trying. I thnk with her being 4 it may take time for her to accept other piggies as I think she must have been on her own up to now.

It is important to put them together and let them sort it out amongst themselves. If you keep putting them together and taking them part teh bondingmay not work. Try only to seperate them if they have a full on fight and blood is drawn. It is competely normal for their to be dominance displays for a period of time.

It is important to put them together and let them sort it out amongst themselves. If you keep putting them together and taking them part teh bondingmay not work. Try only to seperate them if they have a full on fight and blood is drawn. It is competely normal for their to be dominance displays for a period of time.

I agree, I have recently introduced a third sow to a bonded pair and at first there was a bit of bullying towards the new one, but 2 weeks on the new one is the boss and they all are getting on really well:))

It can be very nerve wracking for a while!

We will try aain tonight for longer. She really was aggressive though and blood would have been drawn if we had left her. We are out shopping and will try for a few hours when we get back. I just hope Izzie leaves her ears alone. It may just be that they need to live side by side for a while longer. If we build a temporary c &c they would be able to see her better :)

Last edited:
That can cause more tension, it is better to put her in and leave her.

Right when we get home they are all going in the hall to see what happens. May give Izzie a cuddle though so she gives poor Honey a break. if no blood is drawn will keep them together. If not looking good will separate and build her her own cage where she can still see and talk to them and look into bonding her with a friend from a rescue.

At the moment we have Honey, Gert, Maddie and Millie in the hall and all seems ok. Maddie as the undersow keeps trying to mount Honey but Gertie steps in and stops her (something she often does if another is being bullied). We will introduce the others over the next few hours Johnny (he will constantly try to mount her), Jess (bit of a bi**h) and Izzie (annoying child lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back