• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hooting

Jasmine-sleeps

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my piggie please! I know that there’s a lot going around on the Internet regarding hooting and I’ve read pretty much everything there is today. My sow is about 3 years old and has often made hooting sounds over the past 5 months or so when grooming and eating, nothing too concerning it usually involved forage being stuck in her airways, or atleast that’s what I’ve thought.

However, since last night she’s been making the noise pretty much constantly when eating and occasionally when sitting or moving around. Other times her breathing is normal, it’s been over 24 hours now so I’m very concerned. She has no other symptoms of a URI, she’s eating, pooping, drinking and being lively. She does have pea eye i know that’s linked to heart related issues as well.

I’m unable to get an appointment with a normal vet until Monday and possibly later in the week with an exotic vet. I have a video but can’t work out how to post it!

Thank you ❤😊

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
A video has to be uploaded to a hosting site such as YouTube first and then a link posted onto this site.

All uk vets have emergency 24/7 cover so while you may not be able to get an exotic, if she needs to be seen then you should be able to get her seen earlier than Monday

Jasmine-sleeps

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey,

Thank you so much, here is the video link:

Yes thank you I am prepared to get emergency care, I’m just not sure if she needs to go as she’s behaving normally otherwise! Thank you so much!

Jasmine-sleeps

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hooting can be a sign of something being stuck in the narrow airways but please see a vet if you’re concerned
Thank you, I thought that too though I’m not sure if it’s normal for it to be going on this long

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Hooting is in the overwhelming number of cases caused by a small obstruction in the nose, like little bit of hay dust. It goes away often after a good old sneeze.
Please keep in mind that guinea pig airways are very small and narrow and that they do not breathe much through their mouths. This means that even the tiniest blockage of the airflow is very audible and causes an array of quite dramatic sounds.

In your case, it is most likely something minor stuck in the nose and is slightly impeding the air flow. See a vet if it persists but don't do so as an emergency, which it should not be. Normal day time hours are perfectly adequate.

All the best!

Jasmine-sleeps

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Hooting is in the overwhelming number of cases caused by a small obstruction in the nose, like little bit of hay dust. It goes away often after a good old sneeze.
Please keep in mind that guinea pig airways are very small and narrow and that they do not breathe much through their mouths. This means that even the tiniest blockage of the airflow is very audible and causes an array of quite dramatic sounds.

In your case, it is most likely something minor stuck in the nose and is slightly impeding the air flow. See a vet if it persists but don't do so as an emergency, which it should not be. Normal day time hours are perfectly adequate.

All the best!
Hi Weibke,

Thank you enough for your response, I’ve been so worried! I was just so concerned that it has been going on for so long, so thank you for reassuring me.

Best wishes 😁