• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Hoping to see the end of the respiratory problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah Boo

Junior Guinea Pig
I've posted on here before about the problems I've experienced with my pigs. It started when Maggie died aged 2 of an unknown illness (she died within a day - stopped eating) - despite a visit to the vet getting baytril and critical care. I then introduced two babys (Crumpet and Doughnut) to keep Maggies friend Muffin company. Within a few weeks Crumpet started sneezing and had wet nose every so often. Not long after that Muffin started getting a slightly wet nose. All three pigs went on baytril and probiotics. Crumpet and Muffin still had wet noses, Crumpets being the worst. Doughnut was pretty much ok, but very occasionally a wet nose.

Muffin a month or two later started sounding congested like she had a blocked nose. All three pigs went on baytiril again. Then Muffin went off food so I left her at vets for whole day and she was fed critical care and baytril, she came home that evening eating again and seeming happier.
She continued with blocked nose and then suddenly it stopped. I thought all was well (Crumpet continued with wet nose but nothing else). Then two weeks later I found Muffin under the ramp in the morning with wet closed eyes, I rushed her straight to the vets. She gave an injection and gave me critical care to go home with. Within an hour or so of getting home muffin was making retching noises and liquid kept coming out her mouth. I phoned emergency vets and they said don't force feed her now. So I didn't, I didn't think she'd last long, but held her most of the day. To my surprise she made it through the night but sounded very wet in breathing in the morning, I was devastated, she'd lost lots of weight and still wasn't eating and her breathing was now very laboured and noisy (wet noise). I took her to the vets and they said her breathing was very laboured and put her down (she hadn't eaten for about a day either so I accepted that it was the end as her system would have gone downhill without food).

Crumpet has however continued with the occasional wet nose but happy in herself otherwise. I brought Doughnut and Crumpet indoors about a month ago as I was worried the winter might make her worse and develop into what Muffin had. All was well until a few days ago when for the first time Crumpets nose sounded a bit blocked (a bit like the noisy congested snorty nose that Muffin had had). Of course I've been very worried thinking she will stop eating and go downhill like Muffin did.

I've booked a vet appointment for monday when they said they'll do xray. I'm hoping this will be the end of it all. I'll keep * updated
:)

Hannah Boo

Junior Guinea Pig
Also has anyone else had a guinea pig that has had an xray? Is it stressful to pigs? Do they give them a drug so they relax? I'm a bit worried about it but if it is helpful in regards to respiratory illness to have an xray then I'll have to deal with the worry.

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Hi Hannah, it does sound like a chronic issue with your piggies, I can appreciate the worry that goes with this.

What bedding do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.