• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hopping Piggy..

AimeeOx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good morning!
My dear little Gibson caught my attention over the weekend; he's hopping!

Instead of walking as normal, he's moving both back legs together, so he looks more like a rabbit than a pig.

He's eating and drinking fine, rumbling with Higgins, and I've examined him, no signs of pain, no restricted movement, no lumps, bumps, scratches or bites. The only change in his habit is that he's now sleeping 'outside' in their run area, rather than upstairs (I think the hopping means he can't go down the ramp - up is Ok but down is a struggle).

Any ideas/suggestions?:hmm:

Good morning!
My dear little Gibson caught my attention over the weekend; he's hopping!

Instead of walking as normal, he's moving both back legs together, so he looks more like a rabbit than a pig.

He's eating and drinking fine, rumbling with Higgins, and I've examined him, no signs of pain, no restricted movement, no lumps, bumps, scratches or bites. The only change in his habit is that he's now sleeping 'outside' in their run area, rather than upstairs (I think the hopping means he can't go down the ramp - up is Ok but down is a struggle).

Any ideas/suggestions?:hmm:

Hi!

It is most likely a sprain in one of his front legs (any joint up to the shoulder blade), but it can also be a sign of scurvy (vitamin C deficiency). If it means that he is sleeping outside in the cold, please provide a cardboard box filled with soft hay for insulation.

See a vet this week if the hopping doesn't right itself within the next day or two or gets worse.

Hi @Wiebke and thank you - he's not outside, they have a garden run in the living room (I'm too soft!). I didn't even consider his front legs! Oh bless him!

I will see how he is this evening and get him to the vet tomorrow if it's no better - thank you again!

Hi @Wiebke and thank you - he's not outside, they have a garden run in the living room (I'm too soft!). I didn't even consider his front legs! Oh bless him!

I will see how he is this evening and get him to the vet tomorrow if it's no better - thank you again!

The front legs in guinea pigs are the weight bearing ones while the back legs are being used as springs to propel a piggy. If your boy is not able to put full weight on of his front legs, it will use the spring from teh back legs to compensate. As he is still getting around (apart from the ramp) and doesn't seem to be in any major discomfort, I assume that the sprain is not very serious. Please make sure that your boy has full access to hay, water and any other foods where he is.

He may have injured himself on the ramp and is now wary to use to it. Perhaps you could think of a way to make the gradient shallower by creating a little landing and to improve the grip on the ramp? I find old carpet offcuts very useful which I double tape to may own ramps and replace from time to time when they are getting grotty.

Thank you (again!) - I have looked at altering the ramp, having added full ramp to ceiling side panels (climbing piggies!) and extra ridges, I have some off cuts of carpet so will attach that and see how he feels about it.. But maybe I can convince my partner to get a new C&C set-up... :yahoo:

Back