• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hot weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mine have got the air cons blasting out, and seem fine mind you they need a clean out and I am waiting for it to cool down before i start working hard out there lol,
saturday i caught the biggest buzziest most disgusting fly ever seen in one of my fly zappers, the buzz went on for ages but it was still alive, so I got a tissue and picked it up and threw it over the fence, not in my garden matey you dont!"

Thank you lady tuppence. I have made your tips as a sticky on these board so that we all can refer to it. As we all forget at least one of these.

I had forgotten the tiles thing and yesterday had dumped to very large kitchen tiles. so i have just been in my wheelie bin fishing it out. ALso forgot the wet towel one. Did that last year and it worked. So thats up.

well done. liked the photos too.

Michele aka Mrs Mod

Fans are a good idea, but not ceiling fans because they may scare your cavy :'((my ceiling fan scared my pigs!)

What about giving them fruit juice from concentrate thats been in the fridge? Is there any fruit juices they can have?

Well mine are all stretched out like they are sun bathing at the moment...plus they are warm to the touch.

What I have been doing is making sure my chicken ark has a sheltered end as well as the house end so they can eat and stay cool.

Also I have a put a lil dollop of suncream on Harleys nose as its a little pink :embarassed:

We've got the opposite here guys, we are trying to keep the piggies warm. LOL
I use extra hay and windproof the hutch with extra sheets.

In summer I use the water filled bottles and freeze them, as well as the cool brick. A wet sheet hung around the hutch catches the wind and cools it as well.

Can I ask -over what external temperature do you start to give them the cool things? Mine are in a hutch outside, but in the shade.
:D

my test is waving my hand where they are if its hot or very warm cool them down!
i've just been out putting up more shade and hosing down everything!

Mine aren't enjoying the heat today...my little white Self PE pig (Taylor) is finding it particularly difficult.

I have put the frozen bottles of water wrapped in a tea towel in with her and her friend....which Taylor is seeming to enjoy...the other one is just looking at it funny as if to say "what on earth is that!"...I've also given them a spray to dampen their coats to try and cool them down...and they seem to be running around a little bit more now.

I'm definately going to give those pop-sickles a try tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back