• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Housing Rearrangement With Odd Number Of Pigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer D

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my poor little Oreo went to piggy paradise and I am now left with three guinea pigs- two of which HATE each other. Right now, I have two 2x4 c&c cages both on separate levels- one on the top and one on the bottom. I plan to move the top level which houses Spike down beside the bottom cage so they will all be on one level but with a barrier between. Spike and Gigantica have drawn blood before so I won't be housing them together in the same pen. Right now Vixen lives with Gigantica and they seem to have a little friendship going on. Now, I'm only worried about Gigantica stressing Spike out. They're all girls btw. Whenever they get near each other they start rumbling and chattering their teeth. I'm obviously not going to move Spike today, but when I do move her to where she can see Gigantica, will all the angry chattering etc disappear after time? I would move Vixen in with Spike as they get along but then I feel like Gigantica and Vixen have made themselves a little niche and I don't want to mess with that. At this point, I don't want to rescue another pig, only because I feel like I would have to get two of the same age because Spike is quite an elderly pig and sadly, I would be left with the same situation if I just adopted the one. So right now, another pig is out of the question. It looks like I'll have to try the side by side cages at this point. Spike is still eating and drinking and I will make sure to keep a special eye out for her.

Aww what a tricky situation. I think it is worth trying them as neighbours but if they teeth chatter then maybe it is best to leave things. I really hope sweet Spike is okay.

I also have a cage that is just under the recommended size for two sows... I'm tempted to house her in there as a next door neighbour to Tica and Vixen.... It's in the garage and is the original cage that Spike and Oreo were housed in for their first 4-5 years. I'll have to get the measurements later as I'm off to work soon. But I feel like it might be an option and would save me a wee bit of space in the end. If they do teeth chatter, is that an absolute no-no? There would be a short little plastic divider that she wouldn't be able to see through on the bottom of the cage that comes up about 4 inches and the rest is wire so she would still be able to see the other pigs...

I just thought if they were to teeth chatter constantly then it would stress them but you know your girls best.

I hope work goes well.

I just thought if they were to teeth chatter constantly then it would stress them but you know your girls best.

I hope work goes well.
Oh! Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I'll try it out and hopefully they'll settle themselves down once they realize Tica's booty is indeed larger than Spikes ;) I stuffed their little teddy bear into Spike's hidey and she's all snuggled against it :) I had a sad moment when I realized that I wouldn't get to take Oreo and Spike together on the grass this summer since the previous owners said they'd never had them outside :soz:

Oh that is sad. I really am sorry. It is so cute Spike is snuggling up with the toy. Poor baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back