• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How big are you hutches/cages and runs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kiraroo

I was just wondering because I have been looking for a friend for my guinea Maude and I spoke to a lady today about a friend for her and she said my hutches were too small; so I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

My pair of boys are in a hutch 4ft by 2.2ft and so are my pair of girls. Maude is in a hutch 3ft by 2ft (I'd get a larger hutch if I got her a friend)
Their runs are 5ft by 3ft and 5ft by 2.5ft.

Are these too small because I thought they were pretty good sizes?

you should give each guinea pig 0,5 square meters.

I have no idea how much foot and inches is, if you could tell me in metric it would be much appreciated :)

4ft by 2.2ft is 121cm by 67cm
3ft by 2ft is 91.44cm by 60.96
5ft by 3ft is 154cm by 91.44cm

does that help? I'm rubbish at working out the areas of things, if you could help that would be fab

that looks fine to me.

Your hutch is basically the normal petshop-cage size, which is a little over 0,5 square metres, which is acceptable for two piggies.
I kept my two in one sized like that for a year, they were fine, given they get time out to run about every day.

the one for Maude is 0,5 (approx), so that is perfectly fine for one piggie - again, given she gets time to run.

Do they only get to run in that 1.50 x 0.9 run or can they run about in your house aswell? is it for all piggies at the same time or do you put the groups out seperately? Is the run connected to the hutches?

The run is the only one where I think it would be a bit on the small side if thats all the excercise they get, being in there. But that also depends on the size of your garden, if its possible for you to have something bigger. Argos grids are great for that, one pack for 8 quid and you have a huge run. :)

Abnoba said:
Do they only get to run in that 1.50 x 0.9 run or can they run about in your house aswell? is it for all piggies at the same time or do you put the groups out seperately? Is the run connected to the hutches?

i have 3 runs that are 1.5 by 0.9 and the 2 boys share one, 2 girls share one and maude has one to herself. They don't run about in the house but they come in in the evenings and sit on the sofa with us or scuttle round the lounge if that counts.
The run isnt connected to the hutches but they have plenty to hide in their runs.

I have an ok size garden and since I built my runs I will get some more wood so that I can make them bigger. Thanks so much for your help, I just want the best for them and really thought their runs were big enough.

edited just to add that they go out in their runs everyday and if the weather is bad i bring them indoors so they can run about in my utility room

Obviously, with piggies and space, more is always better.

But I honestly think a normal 120x60 sized hutch / cage is alright for two pigs, if they get floor time, which in your case they do.

Sounds fine to me :)

My 2 girls share a 4 foot hutch, Monty is using a 3 foot hutch, but I'm on the lookout for a 4 foot one for him too. Leo bunny has a 5 foot hutch with extra height so he can sit up if he wants. He has a 5 foot run. The girls have a 3 foot run at the mo as the 4 foot one was falling to bits so had to go.

They dont venture out of the covered bit much so seems ok for them but i might buy a 4 foot run for them and Monty can have the 3 foot run.

Alison :)

And me 2 :)

My 2 pairs of boys each have a 2 storey hutch measuring 5ft x 22" (1.5m x 0.57m) each level

Their runs are 5ft x 6ft (1.5m x 1.8m) but they're not going in them at the mo due to my probs with Wilbur ::)

My new piggies hutch is on one level and measures 10ft x 22" (3m x 0.57m)

My girls hutch is 6ft long by 3ft wide and 3ft6 high has two levels in it for my 9 girls all live happily in it.

my boys are in hutches 4ft long by 2ft 6 high and 2ft 6 wide their cage is a double decker type one piggy in each

my other boys are in another double decker cage which is 5 ft long by 3ft wide and each part is 2ft 6 high, one on his own and a pair of brothers in the other

my runs are 6 argos cubes long by 4 of them and I have 3 of them.

karen

Mine live in a selfmade inside cage, four floors high, each floor measuring 74x51 cm.

That gives my three piggies a total of 1,5 square metres to run on. But because its different floors, it feels alot bigger for them.

gorm8.jpg

Mine is 150cm in length, 100cm in width and 90 cm in height(leaving 10cm for the feet, so the height should be 80cm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back