• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Can I Make My Backyard safer for my piggies?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Where I live there is nice weather almost all year round (I don’t live in the 🇬🇧 UK), so I thought it might be nice to take the piggies out so they can eat some grass and have fun. But I have a lot of bushes surrounding the backyard and once I took my piggies out and they ran into the bushes having the time of their life before I could stop them, and it was really hard to catch them. So should I make a barrier around the bushes, or maybe I could make an enclosure by wrapping something around the base of my large trampoline? My questions are: will this be safe and how can I make it safe? (NOTE: I obviously will be supervising the piggies ALL the time when they go outside.)
Thanks,
Leena( Mimi and Creamie’s Human)

I would suggest a proper metal or wooden run which you can place on the grass. This will keep your piggies safe and also allow you to pop back inside for something with complete peace of mind.
Guinea pigs should never be allowed to free roam as they can squeeze through the smallest of gaps and become lost or injured.

If you can give us an idea of roughly where you love (country, state) people can possibly link to the runs that they use.

Your best bet is to buy or make a secure run for them: wood and wire mesh (not chicken wire) with a lid. They can then enjoy the garden without worry. Please do not let them loose in the garden - we see so many new members here asking for advice and comfort after a pig disappears after free roaming a garden or getting loose from being held on a lap outside. I know you’re not from the U.K, but this link shows my run as an example ( I actually have the smaller one but the website isn’t working properly!)

Large Folding Run

It’s never advisable to leave piggies to free roam. A predator can swoop and take them in front of your very eyes or be lurking in the bushes. Even the most tame piggies can suddenly be spooked by a strange noise and bolt, and they are masters at escaping through tiny gaps in fences. As the others have said the best solution is a predator proof run with a lid

Your best bet is to buy or make a secure run for them: wood and wire mesh (not chicken wire) with a lid. They can then enjoy the garden without worry. Please do not let them loose in the garden - we see so many new members here asking for advice and comfort after a pig disappears after free roaming a garden or getting loose from being held on a lap outside. I know you’re not from the U.K, but this link shows my run as an example ( I actually have the smaller one but the website isn’t working properly!)

Large Folding Run
Ok thanks, I can definitely do this.

It’s never advisable to leave piggies to free roam. A predator can swoop and take them in front of your very eyes or be lurking in the bushes. Even the most tame piggies can suddenly be spooked by a strange noise and bolt, and they are masters at escaping through tiny gaps in fences. As the others have said the best solution is a predator proof run with a lid
Ok, thanks.

Large Folding Run
I have this one and the smaller run too. They are very good.

I would suggest a proper metal or wooden run which you can place on the grass. This will keep your piggies safe and also allow you to pop back inside for something with complete peace of mind.
Guinea pigs should never be allowed to free roam as they can squeeze through the smallest of gaps and become lost or injured.

If you can give us an idea of roughly where you love (country, state) people can possibly link to the runs that they use.
I am from Australia

Back