• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How can I transfers a piggy from a pick up to cosy to my arms?

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello 👋
Both my piggies are very good at going happily into the 'Magic Travelling Tube' I use to pick them up to transport from the cage to the grass for example. However neither of them (especially Elvis) like coming out of the tube into my arms/lap so I can hold them to give them a health check. Elvis won't even come out for a food bribe! Neither of them enjoy cuddles so I don't hold them regularly but this means they associate my arms with annoying bum checks or medicine giving.

So my question is: is there a way I can get them into my arms easily?
I have tried picking them up in the tube and waiting for them to come out but they don't- they just sit there until I put it on the floor and then they run before I can catch them, I have tried using a different cosy but they won't go in and just back up and run away if I try to herd them in, I have tried an upside down box and occasionally they will go in but not reliably or often. I'm running out of options! Some suggestions would be really helpful.
Thank you! 🙂

Hello 👋
Both my piggies are very good at going happily into the 'Magic Travelling Tube' I use to pick them up to transport from the cage to the grass for example. However neither of them (especially Elvis) like coming out of the tube into my arms/lap so I can hold them to give them a health check. Elvis won't even come out for a food bribe! Neither of them enjoy cuddles so I don't hold them regularly but this means they associate my arms with annoying bum checks or medicine giving.

So my question is: is there a way I can get them into my arms easily?
I have tried picking them up in the tube and waiting for them to come out but they don't- they just sit there until I put it on the floor and then they run before I can catch them, I have tried using a different cosy but they won't go in and just back up and run away if I try to herd them in, I have tried an upside down box and occasionally they will go in but not reliably or often. I'm running out of options! Some suggestions would be really helpful.
Thank you! 🙂

Can you create a 'pocket with a fleece blanket on your lap to entice them into that and then gently take it from there? Use our piggy whispering tips and plenty of vocal reassurance, encouragement and praise with the help of a little healthy treat or their favourite veg at the end of it? that usually works best for very skittish new piggies of mine.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Can you kind of just gently tip them out in to your lap? Sorry, I don’t have any other suggestions
I have tried tilting the cosy in the hope he'd then come out but no he stayed there somehow gripping on. I have to admire his determination :mal: 🤣
Can you create a 'pocket with a fleece blanket on your lap to entice them into that and then gently take it from there? Use our piggy whispering tips and plenty of vocal reassurance, encouragement and praise with the help of a little healthy treat or their favourite veg at the end of it? that usually works best for very skittish new piggies of mine.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
I have a cosy like this:

I could try encouraging them in with food and make it the specific check up cosy? It should be easier to reach them from because it's open at the front. The problem here is they don't go in it much even if it's just out let alone actually sit in it... I'll give it a go though

Today I also had a look at the tweaking section of the biting guide because Elvis always pulls clothes, cosies and skin if he can reach in whenever he needs to be held making check ups/nail clipping more difficult. I'm going to try gently asserting my dominance by stroking the ears and around the eyes as suggested.
If I can get them used to being handled and stop Elvis's tweaking check ups should be much easier.

Oops! Forgot to attach the picture 🤦🏼‍♀️
Here it is
15992476239768014354004616248663.jpg
While I'm here I'll also add whenever I always give them a big if veg after health checks and weigh ins

I have tried tilting the cosy in the hope he'd then come out but no he stayed there somehow gripping on. I have to admire his determination :mal: 🤣

I have a cosy like this:

I could try encouraging them in with food and make it the specific check up cosy? It should be easier to reach them from because it's open at the front. The problem here is they don't go in it much even if it's just out let alone actually sit in it... I'll give it a go though

Today I also had a look at the tweaking section of the biting guide because Elvis always pulls clothes, cosies and skin if he can reach in whenever he needs to be held making check ups/nail clipping more difficult. I'm going to try gently asserting my dominance by stroking the ears and around the eyes as suggested.
If I can get them used to being handled and stop Elvis's tweaking check ups should be much easier.

Hi!

Be a bit more assertive! Establish your leadership in a friendly way but nip any 'bad' behaviours in the bud in no uncertain terms; just the way a group leader would. It's what he would expect and what he can deal with without breaking your bond. More in the way of clarifying your position because he wouldn't dare if he couldn't sense a power vacuum. The more you behave like a 'normal' piggy leader, the better because you become more acceptable and believable for him.

Here is the follow on guide: Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

Thank you for the guide I'll try and be more assertive in the future. I see how I can do this for Elvis's tweaking but how do I do that when it comes to getting him into/out of cosies when I need to?

Thank you for the guide I'll try and be more assertive in the future. I see how I can do this for Elvis's tweaking but how do I do that when it comes to getting him into/out of cosies when I need to?

Prod on the bum end. It is piggy language for 'move on' when they move along their paths in the undergrowth in single file. Use the same plenty of praise and eye rubs to encourage positive behaviours. They are not stupid and will pick up quickly on what gives them positive rewards.

Thank you I'll try that tomorrow as I'll need to do their health check. I had a go at leading them into the cosy with some yummy pepper earlier. Eddie was quite eager to do it and I successfully got him in and onto my lap twice and picked up his paw without him pulling it away like he normally does. Elvis was less enthusiastic and went in far enough to get the food and ran away with it! Maybe with the 'move along' bum prodding we'll get there.

Back