How can we change this??

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I always hear about RSPCA guidelines on this forum, as it is UK-based, so I decided (out of curiosity) to look up the guidelines on guinea pigs from the ASPCA (I live in the US).
There is nothing shockingly bad, but the site says that a four-square-foot cage for a guinea pig is acceptable as well as the recommended minimum (that is smaller than a 2 x 2 c and c cage)? Only a small handful of vegetables and fruits every day? Guinea pig pellets are the basis of a guinea pig diet?
Is there a way that we could change this?
Should I reach out to them?
The ASPCA is a wonderful organization, but this just doesn't seem right!
'

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is there some sort of ‘contact us’ section on there website where you could e-mail them to let them know? You could even try your local one (assuming it is like the RSPCA and you have local branches) and they may be able to comtact the head office and get the regulations changed?

Sgboyd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Each ASPCA here is independent. What one might suggest is proper care another may say something different.

Things are much more consistent with dogs and cats as that is the bulk of the animals they care for so information is more available.

With exotics though, they are dependent on their staff knowing what to do and that may not always happen.