• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How did you get yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm always interested to know how people got their pigs!

Mine are a bit of a mixed bag!

Ted - from Squeaky Pigs Rescue - was a former show pig.

Treacle - a foster that I decided to keep.

Whinnie - adopted from Thistle Cavies as a companion for Treacle

Tommy - From Squeaky Pigs Rescue

Oscar - my ex bought him home from a man he worked with who was going to let him go in the garden as he was ugly!

Roo - rescued by me from a very neglectful home

Sumo - from Squeaky Pigs Rescue

Arthur - another foster I decided to keep.

So - how did you get yours? ;)

I got Goldie from a pet store. She looked like she wasn't happy being there!

Willie came from a local rescue. And the other piggies I fostered for a while were all rescue piggies too that I found good homes for when I didn't have the time to take care of any more than one pig.

Mine all came from pet shops. Riffy, Scarby and Dr were my first guineas (came to live with me 10th Feb 2005). I didn't feel I could cope with the trauma of a rescue guinea because I was inexperienced with guineas and also quite ill at the time.

Rocky also came from a pet shop.

I would really like to have rescue guineas one day soon.

Rudi- was from PAH he was around 10/11 weeks and when i asked for him the lady said wow someone wants that one everyone said he was ugly!

Zub- again pah they where overun at that time

Griff- yep pah again he looked so thin i decided to take him home and give him a chance

Harry- once again PAH again he was the eldest there and when i asked for his age the lady went erm i think hes around 10 weeks but he was longer and heavier that zubin so i have never been convinced!

Edwin- Pah again he was in with a massive rabbit and loads of other piggies but he was alone and i his little face just said buy me

Tia and Maria- Where rehomed from South Downs College, they where used for the students to learn and as they never had babies they are no use to them now so i have taken them in and rehoming is so nice to do its like they now have stability and love here

P.S got the boys from PAH as they are the only pet shop i no of that will sell piggies on their own!

All my others before Jin was just cos I like pigs!

Jin was a dream; I had a dream about pigs and called them 'Jinny pigs' and when I saw Jin in Do It All (thet no longer have pets), I just had to have him!
Not long after was Tonic - Jin's best friend.

Along came Ice - who was a boar. He was really feisty! I mean REALLY, and at the time it was extremely hard to try and tame him. So he went back.
We got Icey - a sow from Do it all.

She then accidently mated with Tonic who then gave us, JJ, Feisty and Tiny! :o :o

We kept Tiny and the other two went to friends.

I felt sad at giving them away still after a year.

Which is when I got Tipsy. A few months after was her friend Peanuts! (Do it all again)

I then thought the family was complete until my mums 'friend' had got two piggies. Didn't know the sex of them and soon one was pregnant and she didn't know what to do! ::) ::)
I took Rattie from her, who produced Guinea, Cherry and Scruff.

They were left with Rattie for just under 2 weeks when they were seperated.

Scruff went back to the 'friend' at 9 weeks old to be paired up with another boar she had.

Then we realised that Rattie was pregnant again! ACCIDENTAL :o :o :o :o

Then produced Topsy, Turvy, Cutie, Squirt and Titch! Topsy went to a friend!

Randy and smartie came from Wilsons pet store

But i check them over and check there surroundings before taking them home

i want them from the same litter

4 of mine are rescues, Pinky, Perky, Elvis and Amadeo

Poppy, Popsy, Rusty, Fudge and Corriander from a small Pet shop

Silver, Snowy , Brandy, Rosie and Tango are from a Breeder

Choco and cream a little sow I have just bred.

karen

I got George & Mildred from Animal Lifeline rescue in South London - the same one that rehomed some of Peter's pigs.
I had recently lost 2 hamsters when they escaped from the cage and were frightened to death (not mauled thank goodness) by the cats. I love rodents and wanted something a little more hardy and not so hell bent on escape.

We visited 3 rescues before getting them from Animal Lifeline. Wood Green Animal Shelter wouldn't even let us look at them because our hutch and run wasn't big enough - the hutch was 4ft by 2ft and the run (attached to the hutch was 4ft square! The second "rescue" still gives me nightmares when I think about it.

I rescued Lily, got Marvin from a petshop, and I got Milka from a breeder who took her in as a rescue. :)

It's so interesting to see where everyone got their piggies! :P

Chester - Local Pet Store. Went in to get some hamster supplies, fell in love with him! After doing research for a week, came back and luckily for me he was still there! So I got him!

Duddly - I didn't see him the first time I saw Chester because he was hiding in the hidey house, however when I picked up Chester I felt so bad leaving him there was he was the last male, very shy and sooo cute! So I bought him home with me too! Chester and Duddly are brothers.

Scooby - Went in the local pet shop to get supplies for the piggies, I saw Scoobers and my heart melted! He was so sweet, popcorning everywhere. Me and my mum just had to bring him home!

Wiggy and Scrumpy - I was at Bobtails Rescue helping out one day and I fell in love with two little Abyssinian boars, Wiggy and his brother Scrumpy. who were just brought in with from living 2 years in a very neglectful home. :(

Freddie - I love the breed Rex, always wanted one! I was on the search for a baby boar to pair up with Scooby since he lived alone. And I found him!

Livie x

Right here we go!
1 Poppy- pet shop to be a friend to my Eric Nuterted. Poppy 2weeks later had 2 babies.
2 patch- Poppy's baby.
3 Pumpkin- Poppy's baby.
4 Kenny-Bobtails rescue
5 Alfie-Bobtails rescue.
6 Minni-breeder (unwanted)
7 maisy-breeder (unwanted)
8 Flizz- pet shop (felt sorry for her)
9 Teddy- breeder
10 Bear-breeder
11 Doggle-rescued from ebay
12 Daisy-rescued from ebay( preg had 4 babbies 2 boys rehomed 2 girls kept)
13 Blossom- Daisy's baby.
14 Petal-Daisy's baby.
15 Bonnie-rescued
16 tuppence-rescued
17 Murphy- Greenfields rescue.
18 Martha-animal-life line rescue
19 Ollie-breeder( unwated folty coat he looks gorgeous to me)
20 Timmy-rescued by a friend.Then rehomed with me R.I.P.
Thats my lot. :)

Lizzie ,Lola, Ziggy, Bumble, Ruby and Tippytoes all came to me from Kate ;D ;D ;D

my lot (33) were either brought from pet shops, its very hard to rescue them here on the Island if not impossible, some came from a breeder who I recued them from ,he no longer wanted them, or given to me because owners no longer want them to to pay for their medical needs a vet uses me to re home occasionally, and a lot of them are babies from my own piggys, I ahve on the odd occasion brought them from the islands pig show when they have surplus stock, thats how I got my beloved Bear.

carol, you say rescued from ebay - do they sell guineas on ebay?

No not at all! But some people try to do this.You are not aloud to sell any live animal on ebay.Some people probably are unaware of this but some try to get away with it. I was on a guinea pig forum when some one had posted a message about these guineas that the lady wanted rid of them fast.I was able to contact her as she lived not far from me and after all the email she must of received from everyone on the forum, handed them to me free, She was going to start breeding guinea pig and then changed her mind. Stuck to breeding rabbits.
The poor things had bad mites and of course Daisy was pregnant. Very health big piggies now.
Carol X

Crunchie and Rolo were from a foster home/rescue near to me Crunchie i think was from a rescue down South Rolo was one of her babies born up here.

In the past its ben a mix of pet shops and rescues, pet shop ones usually being kept in poor conditions so i usually managed to get them handed over to me. Usually older piggies who no one wanted, often with mites/skin conditions.

Alison

hi

i got my two, Ginge and Nugget from Pets at Home....went in for some more fish!

I'm so bowled over with them both and we just keep extending the cage .....my hubby reckons they are takin over the lounge but i dont care, i sit watching them play instead of watching tv....they are so funny! :D

Hope to get some more from a rescue home soon, when i know i little more about lookin after them properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back