1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Keep Down Smell For Indoor Piggies?

Discussion in 'New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner' started by Amanda Hockey, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

i forgot can you go under the new pup & put your location down then we match you to the best vets/rescues if necessary & anything we can match up to your area

2. acapae

acapae Junior Guinea Pig

I have two (castrated boy/ girl pair) in a 4x2 C+C cage. They're on horse shavings with hay currently. I was expecting them to smell a bit as obviously all animals do to a degree (even people!), but it is so unbelieveably mild compared to other pets.

Elisabeth and Critter like this.
  3. Amanda Hockey

Amanda Hockey New Born Pup

Thank you so much, everyone's been ever so helpful, I really appreciate it! My son's birthday isn't for another couple of weeks so I'm going to do a bit more homework before I decide which cage to get, but I very much like the idea of fleece flooring that I can just take out and wash a couple of times a week alongside daily tidying.

JenniferG likes this.
  4. Squeakz

Squeakz Teenage Guinea Pig

To help you work out how large the various c&c cages and how they actually look. This site offers 'kits'

C and C Guinea Pig Cages | Guinea Pig Cages

I prefer c&c for guinea pigs as I find the open topped option makes interacting\daily spot cleaning\accessing piggies much much easier.

JenniferG likes this.
  5. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2016/17

My five sows are in a combined 2x3 and a 5x3 C&C cage (it's big!) and my poor boar is in a 100cm cage whilst he is waiting for the 6 weeks post op neutering wait. Then he will be introduced to the girlies and all of them will be in the C&C cage.

The sows are on fleece liners from Ziggy, and the boar has pads and fleece. The only time I smell them is during clean out, which is once per week. The hay trays are cleaned every two days and most of the wees are done in there.

JenniferG likes this.
  6. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2016/17

7. Alycat

Alycat Junior Guinea Pig

1) Regular cage cleaning
    2) Some way of keeping the hay contained (fasten the bag etc)
    3) Use an air purifier with scent oils in (works great for me and it's good for dust too)

8. Squeakz

Squeakz Teenage Guinea Pig

I clean once a week with daily poop checks.
    I use C&C with fleece liners that contain "zorb" as the inner layer.

It does not smell sooner than that but it really depends on the size of the cage vs how many pigs are in there. As @Swissgreys has pointed out, the larger the cage the less cleaning is actually needed.

Just be careful not to "over clean " in the beginning when they are settling in as some piggies will "re-mark" territory right after cleaning out which can escalate the smell problem if you then go and clean again 1-2 days later.

The working out who's boss stage can get a bit smelly regardless of the genders.

9. Scribbled28

Scribbled28 Junior Guinea Pig

Some advice on fleece and smells.

I don't now whether you're going to use the fleece layering method or buy/make some cage liners but if you're getting cage liners I would strongly recommended getting some that don't use wadding as the middle layer. After buying from various suppliers using various methods, I find that the liners that use wadding get smelly really quickly and don't absorb as well (I guess that's why they smell). I find after about 2days (1.5days at worse) the liner smells as though it needs changing. My favourite is my liner from hammocky hammocks. It's quilted which makes pooper scooping easier and on the best days it can go 4days without starting to pong.

I do find that most of the smell clears when the pigs have been swept so I'd keep on top of the scooping if you're worried about smell. Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

10. pnwgranny

pnwgranny Junior Guinea Pig

I have two sows and a boar, and they are indoors.
    I clean them every day and no smell.

11. furryfriends (TEAS)

furryfriends (TEAS) Forum Founder
    Senior Guinea Pig

Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
    The indoor TEAS piggies are bedded on puppy pads with hay on top. No smell and very easy to clean as you just roll up the puppy pads and throw away. The shed piggies are bedded on aubiose with hay on top. Again works well and no smell.

eileen and pig in the city like this.
  12. Amanda Hockey

Thank you everyone. After thinking girls would be best, we're going to see a pair of 17 month old boars at the rescue home on Sunday. They've apparently been there a while. The lady says they're lovely, very bonded, fairly happy to be handled and don't smell any more than the girls! I've ordered our cage (4x2 C&C cage with loft) and lots of accessories for them to play with/hide in and looking to order fleece liners from Hammocky Hammocks. I'm hoping it all arrives in time for the start of the Easter holidays so we've got a full two weeks to make them feel at home, albeit gradually! I'll let you know how we get on and post some pictures of our new piggies in their home when they're settled in. Thanks again!

13. Lorcan

Lorcan Teenage Guinea Pig

Good luck! I love boars so I may be slightly biased but I think you're making the right decision ;) just, not to be difficult or anything, but the recommended minimum for boar pairs is usually 5x2. If they're a well bonded pair it may not be a problem but I'd double check with the rescue first and see what they say just in case.

14. Scribbled28

Scribbled28 Junior Guinea Pig

Great to hear! In the meantime you could use woodchips/ back to nature/ carefresh in the interim, so that the fleece has time to arrive. They are all very good at keeping smell down. Turn over tends to be 2-3weeks for fleeces. If you want you can ask the C&C supplier to put a little threshold on the loft so that the pigs don't kick the bedding down the ramps. That way you can still use the chips etc in the loft if you want. gives some more flexibility. ;)

Dorothy&Coco likes this.
  15. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2016/17

I have one neutered boar 3 weeks in to his post op wait.

He is one of the most cuddliest piggies I have

16. JenniferG

JenniferG Junior Guinea Pig

I used to have 2 boars, Humbug was my big boy and he was happy to be cuddled, and would lick me when he wanted to go back. Scruffy was happier to be cuddled after he was neutered but would only stay still if I stroked the sides of his cheeks.

17. Amanda Hockey

Thanks Lorcan. I spoke to the rescue lady and she said the cage size would be fine so hopefully we're good to go. Really looking forward to seeing them on Sunday!

Lorcan likes this.
  18. Dorothy&Coco

Forum Donator 2016/17

Exciting! Let us know how you get on.

It took a little while for my liners from hammocky hammock to arrive (they are volunteers I think who make them), well worth the wait though. Like @Scribbled28 says you could use wood shavings or another substrate as a temporary measure.

19. pig in the city

pig in the city *Rescue Buddy*
    Forum Donator 2016/17

Hi Amanda its me the rescue lady! I hope you like the boys, they so need a forever home. See you on Sunday

20. pig in the city

pig in the city *Rescue Buddy*
    Forum Donator 2016/17

Thankyou for mentioning this @Lorcan. Our minimum cage size at BARC for 2 boars is 5 foot by 2 foot, as you know C&C grids are about 13inches, so a 4 x2 is about 60 inches with the connectors, by 30 inches. The two boys are currently in a 4 x2 and are doing great. Lets hope that @Amanda Hockey falls in love!

Dorothy&Coco, eileen and Lorcan like this.