• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How do i keep indoor claws short?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoBo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all i am looking for tips on how you keep your indooe guinea pigs claws short. My indoor girls live on vet bed so i am forever having to clip their claws, however my outdoor herd live on a bedding of newspaper and hay and i have never had to clip any of their claws, so just wondered if you all do anything that helps to prevent such regular claw cliping for indoor piggies.

Thanks all^)

Mine are indoors on fleece so I have to trim them regularly. Do your outside pigs have access to a run on concrete? As this will keep their nails short.

I've never had to do my rabbits as they are outside on concrete, grass etc

When Putt goes in her run for floor time, we place some upturned kitchen tiles on the floor in the hope that walking across them keeps her nails a little shorter.
The unfortunate part of this, is that the pigs think that floor time is a time for sitting up the corner as opposed to running around exercising! :))

my outdoor pigs run is on concrete but i always put hay and newspaper down, not sure what it is that keeps their nails short, maybe its the running up and down the wooden ladder

You can place bricks around the pellet bowl or in front of the hay rack/hay tray or look for rough floor tile samples.

oohh that's a good tip about the bricks, thanks.

Jobo, we've loads of unused bricks in our garden if you want any!

Hi Hellsbells thats really kind of you thank you, at the moment my little head is ticking over because my living room and dining room floor has recently been slate tiled, we have 4 dogs and carpet is not the best option. I do not let my pigs run free range around the house due to the dogs, they usually stay in the study (which has carpet) or in the garden in the summer. I am currently thinking of ways to block out the dogs from the living room so the pigs can have a run around, not mentioned this bit to OH yet, I think the slate tiles will be grat for them, I might just get an inddor secure run and put it on the living room floor, what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back