• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How do I stop them from fighting and Introduce them again?

Reginart

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two guniea pigs called Indomie and Dumpling and they are a boy and girl, Dumpling is a girl and she is bigger than Indomie which was a boy. When I was bathing my boy guniea pig, I saw multiple wounds and I was afraid that they were fighting, so I just watch them and they were chasing which I thought was normal playing or dominant behaviour than I saw Dumpling bite Indomie. This is not my picture but the wound is like this, I seperate them but they are still able to see each other because I was using the split cage method. I am hoping to introduce them again and this is my 2nd week owning the guniea pig so they are still terribly scared of me.
.1594471357662.png

Is the male neutered? If not, then they cannot be in the same cage together at all.

Otherwise, if two piggies don’t like each other then there is nothing you can do. Character compatibility is key to a successful bond and if they don’t have compatibility, then they will never live together without fighting

Please don’t regularly bathe them, it’s not good for their skin. The generally only need bathing for medical needs or if they are particularly dirty

:agr: I wouldn’t put them together again if one is biting the other. How much space do they have and how many hides etc do/did they have in their shared cage?

I would get that wound checked out. And also as nice re bathing and putting an intact (not neutered) boar in with a sow. Where did you get them from? And how have they been together in general over the past two weeks?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

:agr: I wouldn’t put them together again if one is biting the other. How much space do they have and how many hides etc do/did they have in their shared cage?

I would get that wound checked out. And also as nice re bathing and putting an intact (not neutered) boar in with a sow. Where did you get them from? And how have they been together in general over the past two weeks?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

I got a 2x4 c&c cage and I have 2 hideys both with 2 entrances, a water bowl and a waterbottle and a hay place. The place I got them is a breeder which I am not going to buy from again, but there is no shelters or any friends or family that doesn't want their pet anymore. I think the guniea pigs got lice from the breeder's place and when I saw the picture that he gave me, they were inside the same cage.

I got a 2x4 c&c cage and I have 2 hideys both with 2 entrances, a water bowl and a waterbottle and a hay place. The place I got them is a breeder which I am not going to buy from again, but there is no shelters or any friends or family that doesn't want their pet anymore. I think the guniea pigs got lice from the breeder's place and when I saw the picture that he gave me, they were inside the same cage.

Is the male neutered?

If he isn’t, then they will need to live in separate cages until the Male is neutered and then still for a further six weeks after neutering to become infertile. You will now also need to put the female on pregnancy watch for the next 10 weeks - you need to treat her as if she is pregnant.
They will also need to see a vet for treatment if you suspect they have lice.

There is also no guarantee that they are compatible in any event so even if he is neutered, they may simply not like each other and be able to live together.

Is the male neutered?

If he isn’t, then they will need to live in separate cages until the Male is neutered and then still for a further six weeks after neutering to become infertile. You will now also need to put the female on pregnancy watch for the next 10 weeks - you need to treat her as if she is pregnant.
They will also need to see a vet for treatment if you suspect they have lice.

There is also no guarantee that they are compatible in any event so even if he is neutered, they may simply not like each other and be able to live together.
I went and got the male neutered when I got them, but what do you suggest with the not liking each other? Do the method I am doing right now?etc?

I went and got the male neutered when I got them, but what do you suggest with the not liking each other? Do the method I am doing right now?etc?

How long ago was he neutered then?

If they don’t like each other then they need to live separately permanently.

How long ago was he neutered then?

If they don’t like each other then they need to live separately permanently.
So do I get a guniea pig that suits their personality so they don't get lonely since they are social animals?

So do I get a guniea pig that suits their personality so they don't get lonely since they are social animals?

How long ago was he neutered?

They need to live side by side and that way they won’t get lonely.

If you go out and just get more piggies on spec then you run the risk of the same thing occurring - you will have no idea if they are character compatible and then you could still just end up with more single piggies. The safest way to find character compatible piggies is to go to a rescue centre
Plus if your sow is pregnant, then you could end up with many piggies anyway and need multiple cages

Could you please add your country to your profile as it makes it easier for us to advise you

How long ago was he neutered?

They need to live side by side and that way they won’t get lonely.

If you go out and just get more piggies on spec then you run the risk of the same thing occurring - you will have no idea if they are character compatible and then you could still just end up with more single piggies. The safest way to find character compatible piggies is to go to a rescue centre
Plus if your sow is pregnant, then you could end up with many piggies anyway and need multiple cages

Could you please add your country to your profile as it makes it easier for us to advise you
he was neutered 2 weeks ago and I separate them a day ago

he was neutered 2 weeks ago and I separate them a day ago

A Male is not safe to be with a female until six weeks after neutering, so there is a chance that he has still got her pregnant within the last two weeks.
They cannot be put back in the same cage.
You need to treat her as if she is pregnant and put her on pregnancy watch now

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-guide.109375/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-and-nursing-diet.109377/

A Male is not safe to be with a female until six weeks after neutering, so there is a chance that he has still got her pregnant within the last two weeks.
ok, but is it normal if the sow is kicking my male guniea pig out of a hidey she is in or not letting him in?

ok, but is it normal if the sow is kicking my male guniea pig out of a hidey she is in or not letting him in?

It’s not possible to answer definitively - not all piggies like to share their hideys but also if they aren’t compatible and don’t like each other then you will see this kind of behaviour and she won’t want him around
It’s irrelevant now though because they cannot be in the same cage any more

The top pig has pick of any hides whether somepig is in there or not. But from what you say they may not get on. This is not relevant because he’s not yet safe to be with a sow anyway.

They cannot be put back in the same cage.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-guide.109375/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-and-nursing-diet.109377/

I am not sure if you could see if she is pregnant or not pregnant, but I have some pictures of the female guniea pig.

Attachments

• 20200712_080240.jpg
    20200712_080240.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200712_080243.jpg
    20200712_080243.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200712_080305.jpg
    20200712_080305.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 7
I am not sure if you could see if she is pregnant or not pregnant, but I have some pictures of the female guniea pig.

We can’t tell if she is pregnant or not - the only way is to take her to a vet and get confirmation.
The fact is though, she has been with an unsafe boar so you must assume and treat her as if she is pregnant until you know for sure

:agr:Please read the guide that was linked previously. Until you know otherwise you’ll have to treat her as if she’s pregnant.

If she is pregnant and already have the babies what do I need to do? Do I have to create a new cage? When could I pick them up for health checks and etc? Do I need to bathe them after being born?

If she is pregnant and already have the babies what do I need to do? Do I have to create a new cage? When could I pick them up for health checks and etc? Do I need to bathe them after being born?

Mum and babies will need to remain together in the same cage.
you would need to confirm the sexes of any babies as any baby boys need to be separated out and live in a separate cage from their mum and any sisters at 3 weeks old or weigh 250g. Baby boys can make their own babies by this age so if you don’t separate them in line with the guidance, then they can get their own mum pregnant.
No you don’t need to bathe them.

The best thing for you to do is to open a new thread in the pregnancy section. You can use the thread to post questions and receive support and advice going forward throughout any potential pregnancy and once babies are born from our pregnancy experts

Thankyou for helping me make my guniea pigs have a better happier life😃

Back