• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

How do you check heft?

BlueBird

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi there,

My guineas are approaching their senior years. So I'm conscious of the gradual onset of pensioners body but I don't know really want I'm looking for. I have noticed one of my pigs getting a bit slimmer perhaps...? (she's less bootilicious as she used to be if I can describe her as that). And another of my pigs seems to be getting a pointer spine (ie from behind she is starting to look more triangular than round these days).

Their weights seem normal to me (minus the holiday blip last month) and I do look back over several weeks to check. But I'd admit I don't graph them so I can't be certain they don't have a slow gradual decline.

When I'm feeling them I can feel ribs and spine. I can feel hips and knees but they aren't noticeable if I'm just running my hands over their coat as if to stroke them and I can't feel individual vertebrae.

Don't really know what I'm looking for when examining them manually in a health check for example (other than obvious things like lumps).

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2017/18
There's an explanation here.The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
I'm sure there's a guide for health checks to but I can't find it at the moment. When I do checks I look for lumps, balding hair, limping, mucky ears, sore skin patches, anything unusual really. Weekly weighing is the most important thing, loss of weight is often the first indicator of illness.