• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How Do You Clean A Guinea Pigs Grease Gland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErmiePiggos

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have noticed that one of my pigs has a bit of mess around the grease gland, so I was hoping that I might be able to get some tips and what kind of things to use when cleaning.

Thank you!

We've also made a step by step video for bathing your guinea pig here. If (a light) scrub with your regular guinea pig shampoo doesn't loosen the grease gland, a drop of fairy liquid usually does the trick (designed to cut through grease). Hope that helps :)

We've also made a step by step video for bathing your guinea pig here. If (a light) scrub with your regular guinea pig shampoo doesn't loosen the grease gland, a drop of fairy liquid usually does the trick (designed to cut through grease). Hope that helps :)
Thank you! I read in the how to bathe guinea pigs section about the grease glands that coconut oil is good to use, is there any certain brands? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff and so I can order it asap if that's the case! Thanks again :)

We don't recommend the use of washing up liquid (other than as a very occasional use) as it is very drying to piggy skin. I think any coconut oil is good for this purpose.

We don't recommend the use of washing up liquid (other than as a very occasional use) as it is very drying to piggy skin. I think any coconut oil is good for this purpose.
I wasn't sure about using washing up liquid at all because I thought it would be quite harsh on their skin. And thank you, I'll get some ordered so I can clean them asap!

Thank you! I read in the how to bathe guinea pigs section about the grease glands that coconut oil is good to use, is there any certain brands? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff and so I can order it asap if that's the case! Thanks again :)

Here is a link to a coconut oil that one of our other members uses Biona Organic Coconut Oil Cuisine at Ocado

I'm lucky - only one of my piggies has needed assistance with a grease gland and on that occasion I used some swarfega. Mucky piggies!

I'm lucky - only one of my piggies has needed assistance with a grease gland and on that occasion I used some swarfega. Mucky piggies!
Thank you for all of your help! And I check mine everyday and realised one of my boys seems to be a little mucky there haha

We use coconut oil on some of the boys in the rescue, it works a treat! :)
Glad to hear it! I've ordered two washing up bowls and some coconut oil and it's all coming tomorrow from Amazon :) the washing up bowls will come in handy if they need a little bath too

Thanks for everyones help!

Hi! Please be aware that fairy liquid is very harsh on the skin, so we no longer recommend it on here. ;)

Hi! Please be aware that fairy liquid is very harsh on the skin, so we no longer recommend it on here. ;)
I thought that! Glad I was advised not to by so many of you and that I wasn't too sure about using fairy liquid in the first place. It drys my hands out a lot, so can't imagine what it would be like for my piggies! Thank you

I thought that! Glad I was advised not to by so many of you and that I wasn't too sure about using fairy liquid in the first place. It drys my hands out a lot, so can't imagine what it would be like for my piggies! Thank you

You can find alternatives in our Boar Care guide, which you have been given the link to.

We try our best to keep our guides (which you can find at the top of our various Care sections) updated and only include the best advice at any given time. Our forum has been around for 10 years and we have had literally thousands of piggies and some very experienced long term owners pass through here during that time, so there is usually a lot of practical experience on what works and has stood the test of time behind any advice in our guides, as well as us trying to include any new feedback on any given subject. .;)

My apologies, I would never use anything other than special shampoo for bathing all over. Duly noted and wrist slapped! ;-)

The fairy liquid recommendation is sadly still making the rounds online. Coconut oil is as effective and much more gentle to remove any muck from a grease gland.

My apologies, I would never use anything other than special shampoo for bathing all over. Duly noted and wrist slapped! ;-)

Recommended advice and products change over time. I remember being advised to use it years ago. Nowadays it's so much easier to access kinder products than it used to be. I learn something new most days from the forum.

Recommended advice and products change over time. I remember being advised to use it years ago. Nowadays it's so much easier to access kinder products than it used to be. I learn something new most days from the forum.

That's great exactly what a forum should be and why we're here. We're going to order some coconut oil in for our next pamper session ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back