• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How do you feed them hay?

KGill

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good evening everyone
How does everyone feed hay to their piggies? I tried plastic hay racks that sit on the outside of the indoor cage as the vet said the wire ones were dangerous (they can climb in and break a leg apparently). They didn't really eat it anyway. I also tried the hay ball but read that they can be dangerous so we stopped using that. I bought an upright cylindrical wooden hay rack but again they weren't fussed - they seem to like being in it and on it when they eat. This is fine but then it gets covered in pee and poo. It's costing me a small fortune as I need to make sure they have plenty but also that its fresh every day. He especially likes to sit on it, and pee and poo. I now tend to just stick a load in the bedroom.
They're outside at the moment and love to eat fresh grass, but I'm worried that this won't wear down their teeth.
Thanks for comments and thoughts :)

Grass will wear down their teeth, if is their natural food, so don’t worry about that. They do still need hay available all the time though.

I just put piles of hay on the floor for my two (they live in my shed and are bedded on a mixture of meadow hay and fleece), they enjoy being amongst it while they are eating and I find they eat so much more than when I used to use hay racks. I throw down fresh piles of meadow and Timothy hay 3-4 times per day It does mean waste as they do poop on it but they always need fresh hay and wastage is going to always be there

Thank you - I'll stop worrying then - especially if it's not just them that like it 'seasoned' ;)

I do the same as Piggies&buns and just chuck a big pile on the floor. When I first got my boys I had a rack but they never seemed to eat much out of it so I abandoned that. I do waste hay but I think it's worth it as they really enjoy burrowing in it and I enjoy watching them.

I have 2 cat litter trays...and one plastic storage box .. lined with newspaper and full of hay...
Small ones get changed each morning, topped up and night. Big one gets changed prob 2/3 days and topped up each day..

We have a designated cage area just for hay, also some Rosewood corner rabbit litter trays in the corners of the big cage that I fill with hay. Hay is a big source of enrichment and fun as well as a main food source, piggies are happiest if they can dive right in, sleep in in, pee in it, make a bed in it, invite a friend, dress up in a hay hat and wander round wearing it... big hay piles are worth more to piggies than any toys you could buy them!

My pigs whole cage floor is meadow hay, with new paper lining, and then a pile of Cheap good Timothy hay in one corner, and then the opposite corner is a pile is posh expensive Timothy

Mine have a cat carrier with the door off filled with hay, they sleep in there as well.

They also have hay cakes.

Mine have it on a pile on the floor or in a bowl (it’s a huge bowl... more like a dog bowl! They often sit in it... or tip it over their heads 😂)

Back