How Do You Keep Your Piggies Hay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just received 4.5kilos of hay for my girls from Hay for Pets.
How do you store yours?
I'm worried that keeping in the plastic that it was shipped in it will sweat. I have room to store it in the house or I could put it in the shed but I just need some ideas of what to store it in, thanks in adavnce :)

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I have just received 4.5kilos of hay for my girls from Hay for Pets.
How do you store yours?
I'm worried that keeping in the plastic that it was shipped in it will sweat. I have room to store it in the house or I could put it in the shed but I just need some ideas of what to store it in, thanks in adavnce :)

I would definitely take it out of the plastic. I use a jumbo horsewear wash bag to store mine - not the cheapest alternative - but very convenient. Some people use an old duvet cover. Even a large cardboard box will be OK. - anything that will keep it dry but allow it to " breathe".

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i put mine in a huge wicker type laundry basket and cardboard boxes :)

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
... Uhh, hay has to have ventilation? I did not know that. :doh: I've been storing mine all sealed up in bin liners, in the shed. I can't store hay in the house due to lack of space as well as allergies. Everyone in the house, including me, is allergic to hay. A couple of my piggies live indoors and of course they have hay, but the hay is only a couple of handfuls in their hay rack so it's fine.

A few weeks ago, I got a few large bales of hay from the pet shop, and by the time I got home it was quite late so I left the bales in the house until the next day. However within about an hour of the bales being in the house, everyone began sneezing so I had to seal them in bags (the plastic bags that the hay comes in has tiny holes).

Also a while ago, before I had any piggies, I had some gerbils which I gave hay to, the hay was in pretty small bags (gerbils don't really need much hay) so it didn't cause any allergic reactions. The hay was stored in the house, but it attracted loads of little insects so I threw it all away.

I could store my hay in a cardboard box, but won't insects get into it? :hmm:

GloriousGuineaGirl

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I leave mine in the plastic in their bedroom but leave the top open. INGS arrives a little damp feeling somewhat but dries out quickly this way.

My boys eat so much anyway a 9.5 kg isn't sat there for that long lol.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I store mine in a zip top laundry basket. However the naughty boys have caught on to the fact that if they hear a zip opening it means yummy hay is on the way. Lol :xd:

gus+walter

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I leave mine in the plastic in their bedroom but leave the top open. INGS arrives a little damp feeling somewhat but dries out quickly this way.

My boys eat so much anyway a 9.5 kg isn't sat there for that long lol.
I'm glad someone else does this! I did try an old duvet cover but it just went everywhere and the hay battle is bad enough so I leave mine in the plastic with the top open. It never lasts long enough for anything to go bad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.