• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Do You Know When They Are Bonded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crkers&Cheese

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

I am getting my little boars on Sunday and they have only been together for a few days but there haven't been any serious fights as of yet. They are also living fairly close to 3 sows so i think that might be contributing to some of the issues. They are 10 months and 6 weeks old. She seems confident that they are getting along well, but she also doesn't have much experience with boars. She said there has been a lot of humping, some rumble strutting but not much other than that. She said that when the young one (crackers) gets sick of being humped by the older one (cheese) he squeaks but won't fight back.

Is this a good sign?

Is there any tell tale signs that they are bonded?

There are so many boar horror stories, i don't want my guys to end up that way.

Hello!

I am getting my little boars on Sunday and they have only been together for a few days but there haven't been any serious fights as of yet. They are also living fairly close to 3 sows so i think that might be contributing to some of the issues. They are 10 months and 6 weeks old. She seems confident that they are getting along well, but she also doesn't have much experience with boars. She said there has been a lot of humping, some rumble strutting but not much other than that. She said that when the young one (crackers) gets sick of being humped by the older one (cheese) he squeaks but won't fight back.

Is this a good sign?

Is there any tell tale signs that they are bonded?

There are so many boar horror stories, i don't want my guys to end up that way.

It sounds pretty normal to me! Make sure that you provide your baby boy with a refuge with two exits that he can escape through or into when the humping is becoming too much, like a small tunnel ot a cardboard box with two "doors" that are to small for the big boy to get into. What you will have to brace yourself for is to see some more dominance behaviour upon arrival, as piggies always have to re-establish their hierarchy in any new territory.

If young boars grow up next to sows, there is usually not so much of a problem, but if you introduce sows afterwards, then there is and it can at the worse cause a fall-out or a fight in teeange or adult boars. Ideally, you keep any sows out of sight and below or across the room to boars (at least 2 feet away), so the pheromones from a strong season are not as likely to set the boys off. You also feed, handle, clean and roam boars in shared space before any sow, so you are not likely to carry their scent across. ;)

You may find our starter kit of information helpful; it contains information on boar behaviours:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...of-information-threads-for-new-owners.129375/

Mounting and rumble strutting is completely normal. If one if humping the other a lot and the one being humped squeals it's usually a sign of submission from the one squeaking. As long as there is no teeth chattering they should calm down soon. My 2 boars have been together 6 weeks now and the dominant one still does the occasional rumble strut around tha cage, especially after a clean out! :) As long as there is no fighting or prolonged teeth chattering it should be fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back