• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How far will your OH go for your piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoBo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My husband always claims that he is not a big fan of my pigs and that he puts up with them because they are my hobby and he thinks its great i have a hobby. However i dont believe him and here is the reason why.

He has driven miles with me to collect new piggies to give them a good home. He always gets the bale of hay and 15kg of food on his way back form work. He has put together numerous hutches over the years. Last winter when i got knocked over by my dogs which resulted in knee surgery and 3 months off work, hubby would go out and clean outside and clean out the pigs for me and he never complained.

A few weeks ago we donated our old chicken coop to Cheylesmore Guinea pig and Rabbit rescue and hubby lifted it into his new car and then drove me to Jo's house and then lifted it over a seven foot wall to get it in the garden and then put it all back together again.

He has spent the last ten days holding Yorkie while i have had to get his antibiotics down him. He also cleaned out his cage daily while i was doing long shifts at work.

He was not feeling very well last weekend and while i was at work he went to homebase and then spent hours building the base for my new C&C cage.

We have just brought a large second hand hutch which again while i was at work yesterday, he cleaned it all out and wood treated it all for me and did not even tell me he was doing it, he wanted it to be a surprise x

I think he kind of likes my guinea pigs, but most of all i thinks he loves me x:rose

That's really nice of him :) He obviously does care.

I live with my parents so I'm counting them instead of an OH :))

My mom claims she doesn't like animals, except dogs are ok. But whenever I've had a sick animal or orphaned animal being handreared, she's helping to look after it. She's a nurse and a mother of 5, so I think she had the natural maternal feelings to help look after them. :) My grandmother (her mother) was the same, always saying she didn't really like animals, but she let me bring my dog into her house all the time and was really upset when she died.

My mom is actually really scared of rats, and thinks guinea pigs are much the same. But years ago, I was late for school one day and didn't have time to put my guinea pigs out in their run, so she put them out for me. I can't believe she actually picked them up! They would have been fine in their hutch but she felt sorry for them. :)

And I had a female who lost a litter of babies and my mom helped me to try to revive the one that was alive for a while. I was impressed that she went anywhere near a rodent, she was impressed that I'm not squeamish about blood or anything.

My dad likes animals, but not as much as me, lol. Like I'm not allowed to have my pets indoors, except my cats come in for cuddles. If I have a sick animal, or a new kitten or something, I'm allowed to bring it indoors, but they don't really like it. And if they are sick, my parents probably wouldn't rush to get them to the vet's or anything, but I do. :)

But my dad goes outside to see all my animals, talks to them and even knows most of their names! (I have 19, but he knows all the dogs' and cats' names of course, and most of the rabbits' and guinea pigs'.) He had guinea pigs himself as a child (about 30 of them!) so he likes them.

I pay for almost everything for my animals myself, take care of them all by myself and take them to the vet myself. If I was short on money then my parents would help me out, they often buy the cat food, but I buy the rest, and if there was a vet emergency they would help me out I'm sure, but I do work experience with my vet and she actually has treated a few of my animals for free and spayed my cat for free. :) So my parents can't really give out about money, but I have to play by their rules when it comes to having animals indoors, and how much space they can take up in the garden. They're pretty good for letting me have 19 animals, in fairness, and my mom actually encouraged me to buy my puppy! :P

When I do move in with someone or get married or whatever, they better like animals :)) And even if they don't, I hope they understand how important they are to me, and how animals will be allowed indoors, they will take us as much of the garden as I like and I'll spend what I like on them :))

Last edited:
My OH will drive me to the vets and he drove me to go and get Bounty and when I've had to rush to the vets before he has taken me and when I had to take Hector to Ipswich for dental again he drove all the way there.

I think its more because it would make me happy but he does also like my guinea pigs :) - esp Lentil.

you have a very good hubby there! i think he secretly loves the piggies :))

My OH is the same, he says their my animals but i've caught him having cuddles and i've heard him speaking to them :)) he also took Rose to a vets in broxbourne when she had her bladder stone (it was an hours journey) and he cried when Frisky and Patch both passed away :( and this is a man that never cries!

i think half the time they dont "like" them as they are men and not supposed to.

my OH says they are all my piggies (and hamster) but if I'm out after work (which doesnt happen often) he will feed them dinner for me.

he doesnt clean them out as he hates it but will help me, and he has cleaned them out once when crumble passed whilst i took her to be buried he cleaned them all out for me and did all the housework.

he moans about coming to the vets but will come with me.

he does all this as he loves me and they make me happy. he has his 2 tropical fish tanks so it works both ways.

i dont see anyone can not love the piggies. my mum does and my dad does do and he is a typical non feeling showing man but will happily cuddle a piggy.

he is a typical non feeling showing man but will happily cuddle a piggy.

Lol, men are funny. I took my kitten to a friend's barbeque once because I had just gotten him and didn't want to leave him alone. So many guys cuddled him and just turned so soppy when they held him :))

My hubby isn't into guinea pigs, either, but he has driven me all over the place to collect piggies, will drive me to the vets if we have somebody else to cover at work and has built me the current cage, a run, huts etc...

My hubby loves all animals but he is jealous of the time and attention I make of the piggies.

The Guinea pigs are 'my' thing and I think he feels shoved out because he wasnt involved in the first place. I clean them all out because I do the washing of the fleeces, I do it during the day while he is at work, and I have foster piggies too. But he will get me the fresh hay from the garage and put the piggies in their outside runs if I'm busy or working and bring them back in and he used to give my Pepper his meds when I was at work.
He's good with animals. He likes taking the dog out and cleaning the rabbits playhouse, but I think he feels left out a bit when it comes to the Guinea pigs. He does complain that they take up too much of my time, so I think its a jealous thing with him. rolleyes

he sound just like my hubby!

he says he doesnt like my piggies, but loves me and wants to make me happy, and if me can build something, using them as an excuse, all the better for him!:))

Last night he actually offered to drive a 6 hour round trip to collect a piggy ive falling in love with in Wiltshire!...bless him...told him not to...be he did genuinely offer! gotta love those men!

my hubby is very good with the piggies (they are our children at the moment) he talks away to them, cleans them out most of the time (mainly because he is quicker at it he says I faff about lol), clips their nails while I hold (or bribe) them :))

he was also with me everytime we made the trip to Cambridge when Jules was unwell, always took his car (petrol money was paid :) ) and one trip to Cambridge was straight after he finished a nightshift at 6am he drove for as long as he could then i took over he is a sweetheart love him to bits for sharing my love of guinea pigs

To be honest it was him that started the craze as we had talked about getting fish and then he went away on a course and while I was at work he got a guinea pig starter kit so we had no choice to get guinea pigs and so glad we did they make us so so happy with their antics x

About 4 miles away lol to fetch an outdoor run but it was on his way back from work.
He says he doesn't get the attraction with furries but I just told him that they're nicer than most people, always love you and most importantly they don't answer back :(|)

My husband never had pets as a child and when he met me I had the piggies.

He nearly always feeds them as he works from home and I am always running later to leave to go to work. He also cleans them out the majority of the time as he is quicker and I struggle to reach the back of the cage. (Too short cage (C&C) is on a spare dining room table).

He has also driven me to hastings at least twice to see someone I know who does dental work on the piggies with no GA and also to Walsall from Southampton to collect my adopted pig Sid.

We now also have a dog which he walks (again during the day when I am at work - who is also too strong for me while I am pregnant).

I am so glad he loves all our animals and he certainly makes my life easier. I moan about him at times but writing this I feel that I am so lucky to have him.

Are'nt they all great!

Mine is the same, says he's not fussed but he is really!

He lent me his car to got to CCT in Cambridge (5 hour round trip), he will take them to the vets if I cannot and pick up meds on the way back from work.

He 'loves' the babies and goes all soppy with them. Yesterday he came rushing into the garden with the camera and told me not to go in the shed. When I snuck in he was there taking some piccies of one of the new babies on the guinea sofa, he'd spotted her and rushed off to take a pigture...

He's painted the outside run for me, made the platform for the C&C cage, made a mesh door for the shed....

SO yeh, right...not interested... its why we love them x)

Hubby says he doesnt but he does. He built me a double storey hutch, and has plans to build another really soon. Cos the fresh air will do them good apparently.He built me a run lid, as I am using my grids for the run. He said when the winter months roll in, I can choose a new indoor setup thats not taking up as much room as what I have. I have one in front of his fishing tackle cupboard in the back lobby and one in front of his fish tank in the brekkie room. He always runs me to P&h to get their pellets. And if I ask him to feed them there veggies while I'm at work he does that as well. I think he thought they would be a whim of mine. But because he can see I'm looking after them and fussing over them he diesnt mind.
Big softy at heart

my hubby sez he isnt bothered by them but he too as built hutches, put sheds up, collected guineas, cages for me, he also runs me every where
when they need dentals which is 1 and a half hrs away, and he even had a little fuss over whiskers just before she died ..

he holds the boars while i do their impaction and everyone knows it stinks lol:)>>> and he is tickled stomached..

he has driven 2 hours further away after work to collect a guinea then traveled 4 hours back home with them.

I had 2 hammies and 2 guineas off popcorn paradise last night and he even rang me from work to see if they were ok :)

i think really loves me and my animals, as he had never owned any pet until he met me :)

you know the saying? Love me, Love my pet :)

our old piggies we got when my son was teeny, and my daughter was about 22 months and because I'd spend most of my time looking after the kids my OH used to do all their food etc, he'd tell me off for getting a certain hay they didn't like etc and he used to love the way they always wheeked at him for food. He was so upset when they died and still holds a huge grudge against my mum for saying "lucky noone was hurt" after our flood.

Now I feed the piggies as I like the kids to be involved as they're a bit bigger, and he's most upset that these ones don't shout for food at him, so he keeps sneaking them treats in the evening, I'll go in the kitchen and find bits of veggies in the cage that I haven't given them, when Dinky died the other week he was really good and didn't moan about me wanting him to take us to the out of hours vet at £85 a go, and he's hopefully going to drives me 125 miles each way to collect Simba to live with Charlie.

That being said he's never cleaned them out - bit like the kids really, he likes giving them treats and playing with them, but the mucky jobs get left to me!

My OH loves the guineas, I think he was a bit unsure at first but now he's really into them. Whenever he calls he asks how they are, and if he comes over he wants to see and hold them. He's never cleaned them as he doesn't live with me, but he likes giving them cuddles and treating them. He's driven for three hours to collect Frazzle, and came with me to get Annie. I think Annie is the one who has sparked his love for guineas though. She has large flappy ears and he calls her dumbo (in an affectionate way) and whenever he comes over he really wants to hold her, and sits there watching her. I remember once he was sitting on my bed watching them and he went 'awww' and I asked 'what?' he said 'Annie was just lifting her head up in the air ' (a normal sight for me, ) but he thought it was cute which was sweet. Oh and he's taken time off work to come with me to the vets for the piggies :) dedication!

Our Guinea's where my girlfriends idea. Shes always had pets as a Child . One day she decided she wanted a Dog but with us out most of the day I find this cruel . SO she then decided on Guinea's.

Our port of call was the local RSPCA for 2 long haired pigs. ( sadly one died, but replaced with another)
Myself, Ive never had pets when I was young but still like animals of alsorts.
I do spend more time with the pigs. Buying them treats / feeding them and cleaning them. Cage and bath time.

Even though I'm a tipical man. Cars/ beer / wimin . I cant help but find the pigs cute and feel the need to care for them x>> . and find that deep down... most guys are the same :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back