• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How far would you travel to a good Vet

Hannah_xx

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Australia, Victoria. (originally from Essex, UK)
Hi!

I’m not massively confindent with the Vets I currently use. They’ve done okay so far with when I’ve needed them. However IF a big serious emergency happened I’d want to take them somewhere more Guinea Pig savvy. My current one is 1 hour away as I pretty much live in the Australian Bush. The best Guinea pig vets I can find online is about 2.5hrs away in Melbourne, Do you think that’s an okay distance? Or would it be too stressful?
My 2 rescue girls came from the outskirts of Melbourne, and they were in poor condition and coped well?
Spike was about 1.45hr away when I picked him up. I know he’d be fine with the journey..he just eats!
I want to take Mary some day to a good vet about her inverted eyelid. She’s been to the usual vet about it and they gave me a few options for the future but just to keep an Eye on it for now, so it’s not super urgent.

So what do you think about distance? Would up to 3 hrs be okay?

We frequently travel with our boys for about 4hrs as long as they are in a good carry case and able to keep cool it should be ok.. We usually include some hay as well while traveling so they have a little bit to munch on (And make sure they have their veggies before they travel). That is ususally 3-4 days apart though.. So not sure that there and back would work.

We travel from our place to Northampton to see Simon & Kim of Cat & Rabbit Care Clinic and it's around 4hrs drive from our place. Just make sure your piggy will be comfy enough and plenty of food to munch while travelling.

We travel with Bill and Ted to see Simon Maddock the dental piggie vet in Northampton too. It’s 5 hours and 290 miles each way from Cornwall, but it worth it! 😊 Keep the air-con on with plenty of juicy veg and hay and she’ll be fine x

I don't think the travel time will be too stressful for the pigs- I regularly drive mine 2 hours to the cottage in the summer and they have always been fine. My vet is about 30 or 40 minutes away, depending on traffic, which takes a bit of a chunk out of my day but is worth it to see a vet who knows what he is doing! :)

Back