• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How frequently do guinea pig use upper levels?

Shelley anne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a three by one above my C & C cage and putting a kitchen area up there for my guinea pigs and that way I could also keep the hay away from the fleece at the bottom, but i was wondering how much guinea pigs like a higher level before I did this? What are peoples experiences of their guinea pigs using these upper levels. Are they popular with them?

I've exactly what you're planning, and my piggies use it all the time. When I first made it, one was very reluctant to use the ramp, but now he zooms up and down the same as the other two. Keep the ramp quite shallow and have some sort of sides on it. (I just used a double layer of corex, cable tied onto the top, and a velcrod on fleece cover.). It depends on the individual piggies whether they'll like it or not. DSC_0850.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1213.JPG
    DSC_1213.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 9
I have a double cage for my 3 as it's the best I can do with the space I have otherwise they would have to live outside or in the shed :(

My piggies have no problem with the ramp and my new piggy who I moved in there yesterday morning was thankfully straight up the ramp and she loves being on the top level.

I made the ramp less steep by placing a wooden block underneath the ramp and attaching a fleecy ramp tunnel to make it safe and less scary.

However, not all piggies use ramps, I think I've just been lucky that all of mine have

Mine all love their lofts and run up and down all day. Caspy's loft is on his zoomie circuit, he runs up and does a popcorn at the top while doing two figures of eight round the cage at the bottom then back up to the loft, he's a funny little thing!

My two spend most of their time in their loft, sitting on a lettuce leaf pad in the fleece forest!

My boys don't have an upper level but will soon, they climb on top of their houses so I'm hopeful they'll use it

I have just removed my loft today as neither of my 2 use it. And I find with boars it just causes arguments.

My two don't use their loft every day, but a few times a week one or the other of them goes up there for a solitary snooze. In that they use it occasionally for a bit of personal space and peace and quiet, I think it makes it worthwhile.

Back