• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How many pigs can I have?

D

DM1611120

I have an 18 sq foot cage it's 6FT long by 3Ft long it's made with wood and CC grids. The CC grids are stacked on top of each other because I thought it would make it sturdier for some reason with the staples lol anywayssss.... I currently have 2 females living in the cage. I was wondering if splitting the cage in half and adding 2 more females on the other side until all 4 are settled would work well?

Sorry if I misunderstoof @PSP3 but I thought you had 3 ladies who werent getting along? Am I mistaken is it only 2? In any event if their bond is potentially in trouble then reducing their space/adding more piggies is not a good solution. 3ft×3ft is adequate for a pair of well bonded ladies but its still rather minimal and may be too small for big personalities... a well bonded well established 4 group would be fine in a 6ftx3ft cage but the space is a bit small to take chances with, if you ended up with an odd one out who didnt want to bond you would need a separate cage and a 5th piggy...

:agr:
yes I thought you had three piggies as well.
adding a fourth will not sort out any problems between the original three, it won’t make them like each other. All that could well happen is you end up with two separate pairs and you may never be able to bond them all together.

I’m waiting for the third to get out of the vet and they told me yesterday it may be cancer. I was preparing for the worst. and was preparing to get tow more to extend the group

:agr:
yes I thought you had three piggies as well.
adding a fourth will not sort out any problems between the original three, it won’t make them like each other. All that could well happen is you end up with two separate pairs and you may never be able to bond them all together.

I’m waiting for the third to get out of the vet and they told me yesterday it may be cancer. I was preparing for the worst. and was preparing to get tow more to extend the group

I’m sorry to hear that.

do be aware that adding to a bonded pair can work or it can be an outright disaster. Your pair may not want anymore piggies to live with them. The safest way is to take them dating at a rescue centre and then your piggies can decide if they like any other piggies.
if you buy more from a shop for example, you will need to prepare for the fact that they may not bond and you may end up with two separate pairs

This guide explains Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I’m sorry to hear that.

do be aware that adding to a bonded pair can work or it can be an outright disaster. Your pair may not want anymore piggies to live with them. The safest way is to take them dating at a rescue centre and then your piggies can decide if they like any other piggies.
if you buy more from a shop for example, you will need to prepare for the fact that they may not bond and you may end up with two separate pairs

This guide explains Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
I actually won't need to get another I'm soooo excited to announce that professor is just blind so she will be coming home later today to be back with her sisters in her home :)

Back