• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How much are piggies where you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pinkfluff

This is a post born purely out of curiosity because a friend of mine (a bunny owner) who knows I am looking for a couple of pigs called me last night to say that in her town one pet shop has a litter of pigs for sale for £25 each, and rabbits started at £30 and the other had one pigs and rabbits for £25 each...now I know it's been a while since I've really looked at the price of them but does this not sound a little on the pricey side for petshop animals?
Baring in mind that these are just local independent petshops what price do pigs tend to be sold at places like pets at home? I don't tend to frequent there. (I always feel sorry for the animals and I'm afraid I may give in ::) )
I know round here it's not uncommon to see pigs in the classified column of the paper ranging from abot £10 usually and wondered what prices are like where you live.

As a side note don't worry I'm not considering buying from these places (I would like to rescue) but am purely intested in these prices because some really do seem a little dear for crossbreeds.

Most pet shops pigs here are around the £20 mark - I hope the high prices put people off from impulse buying!

starshine said:
Most pet shops pigs here are around the £20 mark - I hope the high prices put people off from impulse buying!

I'ld like to think it did, but who knows. :-\

starshine said:

In our area they range between 10.99 and 18.99 in pet shops >:(
Breeders seem to be charging about £8.00 to £15.00 in the free ad papers ::)

If only people would realise that reputable rescues request a reasonable adoption fee and re-home healthy, assessed guinea pigs, rescue babes are also often available. A good rescue will also give oodles of ongoing advice, guarantee gender, non pregnancy, have quarantined etc.

Sadly some people just want to walk into a shop, point to something and take it home...So personally, I am not convinced the price deters impulse buying :(

Barbara

cavykind said:
starshine said:

In our area they range between 10.99 and 18.99 in pet shops >:(
Breeders seem to be charging about £8.00 to £15.00 in the free ad papers ::)

If only people would realise that reputable rescues request a reasonable adoption fee and re-home healthy, assessed guinea pigs, rescue babes are also often available. A good rescue will also give oodles of ongoing advice, guarantee gender, non pregnancy, have quarantined etc.

Sadly some people just want to walk into a shop, point to something and take it home...So personally, I am not convinced the price deters impulse buying :(

Barbara

I found it interesting to hear the local RSPCA only charged £8 for a pig but £20 for a rabbit.

I don't know about places like pets at home because I don't really go in there but my local pet place charges £48 for a pair of guineas and will not sell them individually. Her rabbits start from £35 but it depends on the breed and line - some are more expensive. As far as pet shops go, this place is very good. She won't just sell to people without asking a lot of questions etc first and all animals go home with a care sheet etc. She has a set list of breeders who she uses and all her animals are pure breds so you can be sure of size when grown etc.

Whilst I agree rescues should always be considered first, if I'm honest, I would use this pet shop if I was after a particular breed of animal for some reason. On the flip side, I wouldn't buy an animal from pets at home.

I appreciate what you are saying beaney and applaud your honesty :)

I must be honest too...And say I hate pet shops of any description, and this one sounds as though it is simply an outlet for breeders stock that they don't want to keep and can't be bothered to re-home themselves >:(

Can't speak for rabbits, but over the years I have had many breeds of guinea pass through, so if you want a particular breed, it will at some point come up in rescue.
I would love another Peruvian, but I won't buy one. If it is meant to be, she will turn up :)
Okay... if he is meant to be, he will turn up....It would be lovely if he was young enough to neuter though ;)

Barbara

pets at home + £30

tansley garden centre= £12:99

local pet shops £12-£14

How much are guinea pigs whre i live? not enough as far as I'm concerned. The only problem with charging more for them, in the hope of less implulse buying is the fact that breeders are paid more for the babies which keeps the cycle going and will never be stopped unfortunately.

We were going to adopt 2 rescue sows in summer but fell in love with Fudge at a local pet shop and he was £12, which is nothing really. Cos he was on his own I decided to get him rather than anyone else as I knew we could give him a nice life and good accommodation. This particular pet shop is heaps better than the other local ones, but there was no question about what he was going to live in, info that he should have vet, etc etc. Scary really that anyone could buy him.

Someone near us is a rabbit breeder but breeds piggies too and advertises them for £3 each or two for £5 :o Now if that doesn't encourage impulse buying I don't know what does.

I STUPIDLY got gizmo from pets at home :~D :~D they gave me all the wrong advice as they told me males were fine living alone :o it was only on reading more about it after i bought him i found out otherwise. I got him fot 19.99. I really would not recommend it if only i knew more before i got him but know hes here i'm going to make the best life for him and am looking into getting him a friend :)

Places here sell them between £10-£17
Misty and Sooty were £15 each.
One of the pet shops sells the males cheaper than the females. Think it because they are harder to get people to buy?

P@H sells them for £19 or a pair for £35 here. But they had older ones on sale for £5 off because 'they couldn't live with other pigs' >:( :'(
This sort of makes me wonder if I am charging enough when I ask £40 for a pair where the male has been neutered :o

But the corn stores sells them for £12 for a male and £15 for females, but neither place often gets females. I reckon the breeders kill them all off one by one over producing for the shops >:( and so keep almost all the females to make more >:( :'( I hate pet shops. I went in for a bottle brush and stood there nearly crying thinking about the sad lives these animals were heading for with no one to advocate for them. I offered to sex them for the shop but they assured me they had been trained and didn't need any help.

I must point out that living in a remote place guinea pigs being adopted is about as rare as hens teeth, I live on the isle of wight and to go to the main land cost a minimum of £15 return and £50+ with a car, the local RSPCA never have them to adopt which maybe is a good sign, a while ago about 90 was sent to them from Ireland and they were snapped up, so I have no real choice in the matter, I have to either buy from the local ads which I have yet to do, or from a lovely reputable pet shop, who has complied with my requests to not use sawdust etc and uses me and a few others for info when customers do buy from them she also wont just sell them she asks many many questions and has refused sales if not happy with the answers, they sell for around £14 to £18 depending on the availabilty, some times during the year you cannot buy them ANYWHERE on the Island, I have bred my own pigs for me to keep and would never ever sell mine and do feel sorry for people who would love a piggy but have no way of getting one I realise my situation is different from many of you , but not all pet shops are bad, life is not that black and white I'm afraid, most of you know me quite well by now and will know I am not a reckless woman who would just buy a pig on a whim,but i do often buy them from the pet shop for my benefit and hopefully the pigs, we are getting a PAH here soon and am looking forward to locking horns with them about their treatment of their animals as i have heard from many of you about them, but dont judge my little pet shop the same as the PAH, my pet shop can tell you where she got her pigs from yes breeders who dont need them, and she also knows their birthdate etc sounds like a caring lady in a great shop to me .

Rudi was £11 that was in 2003 Zubin was 16.99 in 2005 and harry, griff and Ed where 19.99, i paid the college a £10 donation for tia and maria just cos i felt it was a good thing to do not cos they asked.

i have just bought 2 piggys from a pet shop £10 each ,i only bought them as 1 looked like he had a sore eye :( i asked the assistant about it and she said she couldn't see anything wrong with it ,they had come in from the breeder the day before and was ok . she did ask if they would live together etc and also said that the breeder had ivomeced them and handled them everyday and i have to say they are only 8 weeks old and very friendly .

we had gone to an RSPCA centre who charge £6 per piggy they had none at the time but i did read a card from 2 piggys thanking them for their new bunny friend >:( so it is not only pet shops that give bad advice ::)

kerryx

In my PAH piggies are £19 each or 2 for £35 i think. But I have seen some adverts in the "freeads" for as low as £5 each up to about £16

When I was at P@H yesterday they were £19 each or 2 for £35 only if they were the same breed.. The only had 1 boar and 1 sow of the same breed..

I paid £18 for my Tashi from Pets at Home last year, and she is worth every penny, gets more beautiful every day :) That's the most I have paid for a guinea, some have come free from a friend who rescues them, others came from (good) breeders, costing anything from £5 to £10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back