• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How much does fleece shrink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Quick question, we moved to our new house in July, when the Piggles moved into their C&C. I have bought some inco pads for the bottom, fleece on top. I have been line drying it all, as much to let it air and hope the wind can shake some of the errant hairs/bits of hay off, but we have just invested in a new tumble dryer (other died in the house move).
I know fleece has a tendency to shrink, so if I did tumble it, should I use a low heat? And was kind of % shrink should I expect? The fleece I use fits beautifully, could lose about 5% but much more and it wouldn't be big enough to tuck in round the edges of the Correx.
Does tumbling help remove some of the fur too?
Advise gratefully received, as ever!
Thanks
X
x

Fleece does shrink, but I'm unsure of what percentage... I condition all my cage fleece (not accessories) by putting it through a 95 degree wash and then tumble dry it on hot just to be done with it.

The tumble dryer removes most of the hairs and hay that's still stuck on the fleece after the wash, at least judging by the filter! Line drying fleece outside helps reduce odors which can be a problem if you don't wash the fleece hot while tumble drying more tends to "seal in the smell"

I always buy tons more fleece than I need, and always find that it never shrinks as much as I think it will!

Mine get a hot wash at 60 three times before use. I've had piece before that has shrunk a bit too much, but I still use it - before and after washing, I stretch it, especially while it is damp. It does the trick. It probably won't last as long, but it's such cute print I don't want to not use it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back