• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How much on veggies

I'm lucky that my pigs now eat such a variety of veggies now. The bigger two were used to the sweet stuff like apples so getting them eating veg was difficult. Babies have never known any different so there's no battle with them.

Prepped their veggies for today, tomorrow and the day after. This is to share between 4 pigs. When prepping I do a standard portion for the babies as they've know no different. I know some advise 1/2 cup for babies however I have done it gradually so their rs are used to it.

Quick question though, can they have too much pepper? Between my 4 they have one whole pepper. They love it, colour doesn't matter. Within 30 mins all trace of veg is gone.

Anyway, here's their salad for the next few days. Quite the variety really. Some stuff was going to go off before I could use it so added it to their mix.

IMG_20210125_133001711.jpg

(Anyone wondering this contains Romaine lettuce, small amounts of kale, small amounts of spring greens, celery, peppers, corriander and cucumber).

Looks lovely
I'm lucky that my pigs now eat such a variety of veggies now. The bigger two were used to the sweet stuff like apples so getting them eating veg was difficult. Babies have never known any different so there's no battle with them.

Prepped their veggies for today, tomorrow and the day after. This is to share between 4 pigs. When prepping I do a standard portion for the babies as they've know no different. I know some advise 1/2 cup for babies however I have done it gradually so their rs are used to it.

Quick question though, can they have too much pepper? Between my 4 they have one whole pepper. They love it, colour doesn't matter. Within 30 mins all trace of veg is gone.

Anyway, here's their salad for the next few days. Quite the variety really. Some stuff was going to go off before I could use it so added it to their mix.

View attachment 165437

(Anyone wondering this contains Romaine lettuce, small amounts of kale, small amounts of spring greens, celery, peppers, corriander and cucumber).
Looks amazing! And I think pepper is a daily vegetable so it should be okay. My 5 have a large pepper between them every morning for breakfast. Then lettuce for lunch. Coriander for dinner. And generally a piece of cucumber for a late night snack. It looks so nice all served together though! 😍

Looks lovely

Looks amazing! And I think pepper is a daily vegetable so it should be okay. My 5 have a large pepper between them every morning for breakfast. Then lettuce for lunch. Coriander for dinner. And generally a piece of cucumber for a late night snack. It looks so nice all served together though! 😍
Ah I know it's ok as part of daily veg but sometimes I get carried away. So if 1/2 pepper between 4 pigs is more than enough then I can cut back. If it's ok as it is then it'll stay like it. Just wondering what others with several pigs do really. That being said I think I'd get squawked at if they got less veggies lol.

Mine have a salad like above every morning (minus kale and cabbage normally that's a once/twice weekly thing. They missed out last week so they have an extra day this week). Then pellets at night when I give dry feed to the other rodents.

I use about half a pepper per day between the two piggies and one of the rabbits (the other two rabbits won’t eat pepper). So my two piggies get about quarter of a pepper per day

Ah I know it's ok as part of daily veg but sometimes I get carried away. So if 1/2 pepper between 4 pigs is more than enough then I can cut back. If it's ok as it is then it'll stay like it. Just wondering what others with several pigs do really. That being said I think I'd get squawked at if they got less veggies lol.

Mine have a salad like above every morning (minus kale and cabbage normally that's a once/twice weekly thing. They missed out last week so they have an extra day this week). Then pellets at night when I give dry feed to the other rodents.
I always have a bit left over and then I think why waste a little bit of pepper especially as it's never the same the next day. I generally chop it up into 7 pieces, a piece of pepper for every pig and 2 spare pieces for pigs that have food stolen off them. 😂 If I'm ever running low on peppers I might give them 3/4, but I generally am always stocked up. I'm surprised they don't get sick of it having it everyday 🤣

I spend very little a week on my piggies. I only have two, but on a weekly basis I would make sure to have:

Cucumber
Lettuce
Parsley
Coriander
Celery (not weekly)
Bell pepper
Carrots

Sometimes I would get them a head of broccoli, but they aren't too fond of it. They prefer parsley and coriander. Definitely max 10euro! And this is very cheap compared to some animals a person could own which would need 50euro plus a week on food!

So you aren't the only one anyways 😊

I can tell you exactly from my sainsbury's receipt here my most recent weekly veg shop for 8 pigs is...
2 cucumbers 86p
2 little gem lettuce £1
4 red peppers £1.80
150g bistro salad £1.25
100g coriander £1.25
30g parsley 75g
150g babycorn £1.65
... so £8.56, but this in lockdown where I only shop once a week, online, considerately without stockpiling!
Pre-covid we might have bought a couple more posh salad mix bags or beansprouts whenever we popped to the local supermarket midweek for non-essentials, I couldnt ever buy a frivolous bag of crisps or bottle of wine for myself and not pick up extra piggy veg treats!

Mind you our team leader was making fun of me in our meeting today for spending about £60 per month on posh hay, she spends less than that on hay for her 3 horses! She said though horses out on pasture all year are better with the toughest driest brown hay just for the fibre to stop them getting horsey bloat, so she buys up year old dry brown hay that the local farmer hasnt sold on the cheap!

I use about half a pepper per day between the two piggies and one of the rabbits (the other two rabbits won’t eat pepper). So my two piggies get about quarter of a pepper per day
So I could ge
I can tell you exactly from my sainsbury's receipt here my most recent weekly veg shop for 8 pigs is...
2 cucumbers 86p
2 little gem lettuce £1
4 red peppers £1.80
150g bistro salad £1.25
100g coriander £1.25
30g parsley 75g
150g babycorn £1.65
... so £8.56, but this in lockdown where I only shop once a week, online, considerately without stockpiling!
Pre-covid we might have bought a couple more posh salad mix bags or beansprouts whenever we popped to the local supermarket midweek for non-essentials, I couldnt ever buy a frivolous bag of crisps or bottle of wine for myself and not pick up extra piggy veg treats!
Thats not too bad for 8 pigs if I'm honest. I thought corn wasn't very good for pigs? or is fresh in small amounts ok? I haven't tried mine with it so it could be something interesting for them to try.

Mind you our team leader was making fun of me in our meeting today for spending about £60 per month on posh hay, she spends less than that on hay for her 3 horses! She said though horses out on pasture all year are better with the toughest driest brown hay just for the fibre to stop them getting horsey bloat, so she buys up year old dry brown hay that the local farmer hasnt sold on the cheap!
ive seen cheap large bales near me (£3-£4) but it looks so brown in comparison and I don't think they'd deliver 1 lone bale for me to try :soz:

Baby corn is a treat food, sometimes we get babycorn, sometimes carrot or apple- they rarely get the lot, maybe 1 baby corn each in a week and a couple go to Mr Alice the gender confused extended family hamster :)

Done some reading on gp veggies because you can never know too much and apparently piggies need a daily vitamin c intake of 10mg-30mg. Nursing and ill pigs can have up to 50mg. However you should consult a vet for regular doses of 100mg. Even though it's excreted in the urine.

Too much can lead to upset tums, bloating and (potentially) GI stasis although this is in very high quantities over long periods of time. I'm going to tag @Wiebke to see what her views are on this though as I'm not 100% sure.

Because of this I'm going to drop the amount of veg I give, especially pepper as from what I understand, too much can cause more harm than good so as they're currently healthy I'll drop it down a tad.

For example using guinea lynx veggie chart which I'll link below. 100g of red pepper has roughly 190mg of vitamin c. One pepper weighs 192g and I split that between 4. So that's 48g each. 50g of pepper has 95mg of vitamin c...and that excluding all the other veggies I'm feeding.

In short I think I'm over feeding veg...oops

So I went shopping today with this is mine.
From Aldi only:
Wonky Peppers (not all for pigs) £1.12
Celery 43p
Green beans 69p
Spring greens 52p
Romaine 99p
Coriander 36p

Total: £4.54
Let's see how long this lasts

Done some reading on gp veggies because you can never know too much and apparently piggies need a daily vitamin c intake of 10mg-30mg. Nursing and ill pigs can have up to 50mg. However you should consult a vet for regular doses of 100mg. Even though it's excreted in the urine.

Too much can lead to upset tums, bloating and (potentially) GI stasis although this is in very high quantities over long periods of time. I'm going to tag @Wiebke to see what her views are on this though as I'm not 100% sure.

Because of this I'm going to drop the amount of veg I give, especially pepper as from what I understand, too much can cause more harm than good so as they're currently healthy I'll drop it down a tad.

For example using guinea lynx veggie chart which I'll link below. 100g of red pepper has roughly 190mg of vitamin c. One pepper weighs 192g and I split that between 4. So that's 48g each. 50g of pepper has 95mg of vitamin c...and that excluding all the other veggies I'm feeding.

In short I think I'm over feeding veg...oops

Yeah - a 'bowl of veg' refers in quantity to a small bowl and not a big one... My piggies get a slice of pepper every day; but depending on the size, I get between 6-10 slices out of one pepper with my own piggies; that is 3 large or 4 smaller peppers between all of mine every day.

The more you can stay off any rich veg and keep your diet green but not too high in calcium, the better.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Yeah - a 'bowl of veg' refers in quantity to a small bowl and not a big one... My piggies get a slice of pepper every day; but depending on the size, I get between 6-10 slices out of one pepper with my own piggies; that is 3 large or 4 smaller peppers between all of mine every day.

The more you can stay off any rich veg and keep your diet green but not too high in calcium, the better.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
I always thought oh it doesn't matter as it's excreted in the urine. Didn't realize that it could do harm.

When it comes to other rodents we use a rule when it comes to veggies, a daily quantity that's the size of the animals head. Would the same apply to pigs.

I always thought oh it doesn't matter as it's excreted in the urine. Didn't realize that it could do harm.

When it comes to other rodents we use a rule when it comes to veggies, a daily quantity that's the size of the animals head. Would the same apply to pigs.

Yes. You will find that the content volume of a small bowl is roughly equivalent to that of a head.

Just sorted the box I made up for them for tomorrow...daily portion for 4 pigs...yeh that can now be fed tomorrow AND the following day...

Back