• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How Much Probiotic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As Daisy is on Baytril at the moment for her ear infection I have been giving her Avipro Plus Probiotic 1-2 hours after abx. However, I'm not sure if I'm giving her enough (I'm syringing it) how much should I be aiming to give her? Also, I have Pro C in the cupboard too, is this better than Avipro or much and such the same as the labels are the same on the back!

Thanks.

As Daisy is on Baytril at the moment for her ear infection I have been giving her Avipro Plus Probiotic 1-2 hours after abx. However, I'm not sure if I'm giving her enough (I'm syringing it) how much should I be aiming to give her? Also, I have Pro C in the cupboard too, is this better than Avipro or much and such the same as the labels are the same on the back!

Thanks.

Pro-C has added vitamin c, which is useful for poorly piggies. I can't remember whether Avipro does too. Dissolve it as per the instructions - one scoop per ?ml and then offer a few syringes throughout the day. You can't give too much of it, so offer as much as she will take. Pro-C can also be sprinkled on top of wet veggies. Piggies generally like the taste of it, so hopefully it won't prove too difficult.

Pro-C has added vitamin c, which is useful for poorly piggies. I can't remember whether Avipro does too. Dissolve it as per the instructions - one scoop per ?ml and then offer a few syringes throughout the day. You can't give too much of it, so offer as much as she will take. Pro-C can also be sprinkled on top of wet veggies. Piggies generally like the taste of it, so hopefully it won't prove too difficult.
It says 1 scoop per 200ml but I usually just make up what I need at one time. Can you make it up and leave it throughout the day then use it as required? I tried sprinkling it on food but she is too wise and doesn't eat the bit of food with the probiotic on it! Haha. Is 1 hour after abx ok or would 2 hours after be better?

It says 1 scoop per 200ml but I usually just make up what I need at one time. Can you make it up and leave it throughout the day then use it as required? I tried sprinkling it on food but she is too wise and doesn't eat the bit of food with the probiotic on it! Haha. Is 1 hour after abx ok or would 2 hours after be better?

If you want to make it up fresh each time, use a pinch with a little bit of water and syringe it all. I use 1-2 ml of water to dissolve it in, so it nicely fills a syringe or two.

If you want to make it up fresh each time, use a pinch with a little bit of water and syringe it all. I use 1-2 ml of water to dissolve it in, so it nicely fills a syringe or two.
That's what I have been doing as I remember you said to do that once before with my other piggy but I wasn't sure if Daisy would need more than 1ml with being on Baytril?

That's what I have been doing as I remember you said to do that once before with my other piggy but I wasn't sure if Daisy would need more than 1ml with being on Baytril?

No - just one pinch of probiotic 1-2 hours after you give the baytril. It doesn't matter in which concentration.

If you want to give additional gut support, I would rather recommend to soak some fresh healthy poos in water and syringe the water. Gross, but the solution contains unaffected gut flora and fauna, and most piggies LOVE it! It mimics the healthy poo fishing that recovering piggies do in their healthy companion's bums instinctively.

No - just one pinch of probiotic 1-2 hours after you give the baytril. It doesn't matter in which concentration.

If you want to give additional gut support, I would rather recommend to soak some fresh healthy poos in water and syringe the water. Gross, but the solution contains unaffected gut flora and fauna, and most piggies LOVE it! It mimics the healthy poo fishing that recovering piggies do in their healthy companion's bums instinctively.

Thanks Wiebke. She has been eating loads of her poops and I'll also give her some of Maple's poops too :)

She is actually eating Maple's poops by herself. She will rummage through tha hay and pick up Maple's poops and eat them! Is this a good sign?

She is actually eating Maple's poops by herself. She will rummage through tha hay and pick up Maple's poops and eat them! Is this a good sign?

Yes, it is. She is trying her best to re-stock her own guts and getting them back to working optimally. it also means that she is keen to get better and no longer feeling very ill.

@Wiebke sorry to be a pest again but Daisy is pretty much constantly pestering Maple by following her around and she sort of licks her face. I'm assuming she is trying to steal Maple's poops from her but then Maple starts wheeking and tries to move away from Daisy but Daisy just follows! Is this normal?

Maple is lying down but Daisy keeps trying to either sniff or lick under Maples chin. She won't leave her alone. Maple keeps whistling and nibbled Daisys ear a bit!

Last edited:
Licking the face is affection, whereas ear nibbling is the mildest and friendliest form of dominance. There could still be the component that Daisy is short of something and is trying to find it from Maple.

Licking the face is affection, whereas ear nibbling is the mildest and friendliest form of dominance. There could still be the component that Daisy is short of something and is trying to find it from Maple.
Should I just leave them to it? It's been constant for around half an hour now :/ Daisy follows her into the tunnel and annoys her then Maple moves to the other tunnels and Daisy follows. I've never seen them do this before today. Lots of high pitched squeaking coming from cage.

Should I just leave them to it? It's been constant for around half an hour now :/ Daisy follows her into the tunnel and annoys her then Maple moves to the other tunnels and Daisy follows. I've never seen them do this before today

Please leave them; they will sort it out! At worst, Daisy will end up with a swipe when maple loses her patience, but they are not going to fall out over it. This behaviour is not quite uncommon for recovering piggies.

Please leave them; they will sort it out! At worst, Daisy will end up with a swipe when maple loses her patience, but they are not going to fall out over it. This behaviour is not quite uncommon for recovering piggies.
Ok thanks, that helps me relax a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back