• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Much Should Be Fed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guineapigemily

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feed my piggies Pets at Home pellets and was wondering how muh i should actually feed them. They are 1 year and 6 months. Ive been feeding them 1/4 cup for the most part of their lives but noticed they are a bit on the chubby side :/ Sam weighs around 1224g and Pip weighs around 1246g. They are both short haired so its not like they have a ton of hair making them weigh more, hahaha!
So i was wondering if its the amount I'm feeding or what I'm feeding?

Its recommended an egg cup full of pellets per guinea pig. Aprox 1/8th a cup each. So 1/4 a cup for both is correct. Some pigs are bigger than others and it may also be the brand of food...some piggie pellets are more fattening/ sugary than others...although of Corse its personal choice. :) but to be honest they both sound good weights for boars :)

They get 1/4 cup each as they live alone. Should I lower is as they do live alone or just keep it the same? Yess, thats a good point. I do have a hugeeeee bag and cereal tub full of burgess nuggets but they seem to prefer P@H which is a pain :') oh well, they have their preferences ;) oh really!? I always thought they were little chubbas, since alot of pig weights i hear are around 900g ish, aha:) what weight would they have to get to for me to start worrying about them being over weight? Thankyou btw :)

I think average boar weight is anywhere between 900g-1300g. My boy is 1150g and he is just right weigh wise. I would slowly reduce the amount to 1/8th each and feed a wider variety of hay. I feed 2/3 kinds of hay at a time to keep them interested. As long as you can make out the rib cage of an animal that's usually a good guide.

Two of my boys are shorthairs and until Peanut Butter's recent illness both maintained a steady weight of 1240grams all their adult lives. Poor PB is still struggling to get up to over 1000 grams but as he seems to be over his illness & eating more I hope to soon have him to 1240 again, a weight he held for 3 years.

A wider variety of hay sounds good, i may have to make an order off hay experts ;D okay, when i get more hay or something, i will slowly reduce the amount to 1/8. Thankyou.
Awwh, glad to hear hes recovering and i hope he starts to get to the weight you want him at. :)

I give my pairs about 40g in total, or at least that's what it says on the cup. They just eat when they want and rarely get to the bottom unless I have left it intentionally for them to finish.

How much in grams is an egg cup or 1/8 cup? Who uses such abstract measurements thesedays lol I am 35 and we always used metric at school.

Seems 20g each is about fine. I always thought I was underfeeding but they don't really pig out if I fill their bowl up..thou the same can't be said for camomile herbage and snacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back