How much time do guinea pigs require?

Vilde

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Usually pellets are a different issue than shavings—due to the reduced surface area there’s less space to release phenols, making them a pretty viable option for bedding (although they are a little hard on the feet). Often times these pellets are made of pine.
Yeah, i think they’ll be okay :)

And the issue with it being hard on the feet i think will be okay for a little, because of how they crumble into soft bedding when you add hot water and spread it around a bit. Even though they dissolve like that i think the water hinders any dust from being released into the air, which is why it is so good for horses who are allergic to pine, or have asthma and such things.

I will try to include a picture of their cage as well so you all can see what i’ve been talking about. Keep in mind this is what it looked like after i had cleaned it up a bit, before this it was basically a mountain of pee and poo

C5F16ACA-9397-4BAB-81C5-F01C658D09F1.jpeg

Robin_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Huh, I’ve never seen a bedding that does that...the more you know :) Just be sure the bedding isn’t too moist as that isn’t the most comfortable thing for their feet either.

As for their current cage, be sure there isn’t anything fine or sawdust-like—this can cause URIs.

Sweet Potato

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
About giving dried food - pellets/ nuggets are not essential but are good for making sure your piggie is getting everything they need (as long as they also have hay and veggies). muesli mixes are not advised because piggies will pick out what they want and leave the rest however I do give my boys a couple of tablespoons of a cheap muesli mix a week (I've checked there is nothing too bad in the ingredients) as I find it's the best thing to put in their forage toys but even then they just like to get it everywhere eat a few pea flakes and leave the rest.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
About giving dried food - pellets/ nuggets are not essential but are good for making sure your piggie is getting everything they need (as long as they also have hay and veggies). muesli mixes are not advised because piggies will pick out what they want and leave the rest however I do give my boys a couple of tablespoons of a cheap muesli mix a week (I've checked there is nothing too bad in the ingredients) as I find it's the best thing to put in their forage toys but even then they just like to get it everywhere eat a few pea flakes and leave the rest.
@Sweet Potato - Try the website ‘piggie parcels’. They sell fantastic forage mix - dried leaves and yummy things! All healthy and suitable for piggies. It’s run by a member of this forum.
There are usually seeds in muesli mixes and they present a choking hazard as well as being completely unsuitable in a piggies diet (I note you say they don’t eat much of it, but still)

Last edited:

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I think if you’re going to buy a cage etc then you may as well take them on 🤷🏾‍♀️😁 If you’re just doing the trial maybe you could set up a play pen for them.

Sweet Potato

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Sweet Potato - Try the website ‘piggie parcels’. They sell fantastic forage mix - dried leaves and yummy things! All healthy and suitable for piggies. It’s run by a member of this forum.
There are usually seeds in muesli mixes and they present a choking hazard as well as being completely unsuitable in a piggies diet (I note you say they don’t eat much of it, but still)
the muesli mix I use doesn't contain seeds (there is nothing bad in it it's just junk food) it's basically just a hay based pellet with pea flakes corn flakes oats and the occasional raisin there. Our first piggie parcels parcel just arrived today and this will certainly replace some of it but they like to play with the balls that you fill with treats and little wobbly egg toys that leafy or flowery forage just don't work for and as they have this somewhat regularly I like to avoid dried fruit because of the sugar content.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
Good for you asking questions and giving serious consideration to the commitment needed for guinea pigs

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
@Sweet Potato Oats is usually used with piggies who aren’t maintaining their weight, and pea flakes are an occasional treat. Corn flakes I don’t think should be fed them either. Raisins aren’t something piggies should eat either. So on that note I wouldn’t be giving it at all, much less several times weekly.

Vilde

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay, so i might need a little bit more help... i took the piggies home today (yay!) and i found that one of them has kinda white-ish eyes.

I heard that if a guinea pig has «cloudy eyes» they might be injured and should be seen by a vet.

I’m unsure whether that is what this is, because it looks very natural to me, both his eyes are like this and they have a dark ring around them. It kinda just looks like he has white pupils.

I’ll include a picture, what do you think this is?
483AE6B1-493D-4B30-8FC8-988486215190.jpeg

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Please take him for a general health check and to have that one’s eyes looked at. Since you say they weren’t Looked after properly, you can take the other for a check as well.

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Def agree about vet visit but as well as injury or infection, it could also be cataracts which may not need treatment or bother the piggy too much. Just saying that in case you're over worried. The vet will know.

Vilde

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay, i’ll take them to the vet as soon as i can.

Another question, i got this gross water bottle and i wonder if there is a way i could clean it and use it until i get a new one? I’m worried the rice method won’t cut it, and petstores are closed rn.1A809C41-68F2-4426-A4AE-4C1F8BC57207.jpeg

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
If it’s cataracts that won’t be a problem.
My Merab had cataracts and was blind for the last years of her life.
They didn’t stop her at all.

Hope there is nothing serious wrong

Have you got any Bicarbonate of Soda and some vinegar?
That makes a good cleaning solution but you have to ensure the bottle is thoroughly rinsed out.

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Could you put out a bowl of water until you can get another bottle? You can get little thin bristle brushes which if you soaked that in warm soapy water would clean it, but can't think what else you could use.

Vilde

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After taking a closer look at him and doing some digging around the webs, i’m 99% sure it’s cataracts. Except for the white, it doesn’t look like a typical eye injury, it looks almost exactly like the pictures of cataracts i’ve seen on the internet.

As for cleaning the bottle, i’ll try out your tips and see if it gets clean enough for my liking.
I do have one of those brushes, however it doesn’t fit and pretty much nothing else does either, which is concerning since it’s so crusty.

I might just use a bowl instead, if it doesn’t get clean enough.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After taking a closer look at him and doing some digging around the webs, i’m 99% sure it’s cataracts. Except for the white, it doesn’t look like a typical eye injury, it looks almost exactly like the pictures of cataracts i’ve seen on the internet.

As for cleaning the bottle, i’ll try out your tips and see if it gets clean enough for my liking.
I do have one of those brushes, however it doesn’t fit and pretty much nothing else does either, which is concerning since it’s so crusty.

I might just use a bowl instead, if it doesn’t get clean enough.
I clean my bottles by putting in some warm water, then putting in a handful of dry rice, put bottle lid in and shake it like crazy in all directions. It’ll get the green algae out and itll come up like new. You can then clean it using hot soapy water and a bottle brush to make sure it is properly washed. I clean the spot with a cotton bud.

PoptartShop

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try some rice & shake it up with warm water, that should help. & good 'ole soap too!

Hopefully it's just cataracts though, keep us posted. So glad you have them home & it all worked out! :D

Vilde

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is not really a question but omg i just got SO sad..

I looked at Cinnamon (the pig w cataracts) and saw that his nails are like little spirals on his feet, they’re sooo long... :’(
It has to be so uncomfortable to walk on, i feel so baddddd

I don’t think i should cut his nails yet though, neither of the pigs are very tame yet, although they’re coming around very quickly! My hope is that in a few weeks i can hold him and cut them.
I wish i could get a better look at them though, their fur is so long so i haven’t even gotten to see their nails until now

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is not really a question but omg i just got SO sad..

I looked at Cinnamon (the pig w cataracts) and saw that his nails are like little spirals on his feet, they’re sooo long... :’(
It has to be so uncomfortable to walk on, i feel so baddddd

I don’t think i should cut his nails yet though, neither of the pigs are very tame yet, although they’re coming around very quickly! My hope is that in a few weeks i can hold him and cut them.
I wish i could get a better look at them though, their fur is so long so i haven’t even gotten to see their nails until now
As this can become a health issue, I think you need to step in regardless of how comfortable they are with handling. You may only be able to cut a little at a time off the nails, but I feel you should get started on it so they don’t cut into feet and cause other issues. It can become very uncomfortable for them to walk, and twist the toes etc. It can take some piggies months to become more comfortable with handling (18 months into the case of one of my boys!) so delaying may not help anything.

Vilde

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As this can become a health issue, I think you need to step in regardless of how comfortable they are with handling. You may only be able to cut a little at a time off the nails, but I feel you should get started on it so they don’t cut into feet and cause other issues. It can become very uncomfortable for them to walk, and twist the toes etc. It can take some piggies months to become more comfortable with handling (18 months into the case of one of my boys!) so delaying may not help anything.
Okay, i’ll try my best.
How should i do it? I’m worried i’ll take too long and not be able to hold him or something