How much time do guinea pigs require?

Vilde

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Usually pellets are a different issue than shavings—due to the reduced surface area there’s less space to release phenols, making them a pretty viable option for bedding (although they are a little hard on the feet). Often times these pellets are made of pine.
Yeah, i think they’ll be okay :)

And the issue with it being hard on the feet i think will be okay for a little, because of how they crumble into soft bedding when you add hot water and spread it around a bit. Even though they dissolve like that i think the water hinders any dust from being released into the air, which is why it is so good for horses who are allergic to pine, or have asthma and such things.

I will try to include a picture of their cage as well so you all can see what i’ve been talking about. Keep in mind this is what it looked like after i had cleaned it up a bit, before this it was basically a mountain of pee and poo

C5F16ACA-9397-4BAB-81C5-F01C658D09F1.jpeg

Robin_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Huh, I’ve never seen a bedding that does that...the more you know :) Just be sure the bedding isn’t too moist as that isn’t the most comfortable thing for their feet either.

As for their current cage, be sure there isn’t anything fine or sawdust-like—this can cause URIs.

Sweet Potato

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
About giving dried food - pellets/ nuggets are not essential but are good for making sure your piggie is getting everything they need (as long as they also have hay and veggies). muesli mixes are not advised because piggies will pick out what they want and leave the rest however I do give my boys a couple of tablespoons of a cheap muesli mix a week (I've checked there is nothing too bad in the ingredients) as I find it's the best thing to put in their forage toys but even then they just like to get it everywhere eat a few pea flakes and leave the rest.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
About giving dried food - pellets/ nuggets are not essential but are good for making sure your piggie is getting everything they need (as long as they also have hay and veggies). muesli mixes are not advised because piggies will pick out what they want and leave the rest however I do give my boys a couple of tablespoons of a cheap muesli mix a week (I've checked there is nothing too bad in the ingredients) as I find it's the best thing to put in their forage toys but even then they just like to get it everywhere eat a few pea flakes and leave the rest.
@Sweet Potato - Try the website ‘piggie parcels’. They sell fantastic forage mix - dried leaves and yummy things! All healthy and suitable for piggies. It’s run by a member of this forum.
There are usually seeds in muesli mixes and they present a choking hazard as well as being completely unsuitable in a piggies diet (I note you say they don’t eat much of it, but still)

Last edited:

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think if you’re going to buy a cage etc then you may as well take them on 🤷🏾‍♀️😁 If you’re just doing the trial maybe you could set up a play pen for them.

Sweet Potato

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Sweet Potato - Try the website ‘piggie parcels’. They sell fantastic forage mix - dried leaves and yummy things! All healthy and suitable for piggies. It’s run by a member of this forum.
There are usually seeds in muesli mixes and they present a choking hazard as well as being completely unsuitable in a piggies diet (I note you say they don’t eat much of it, but still)
the muesli mix I use doesn't contain seeds (there is nothing bad in it it's just junk food) it's basically just a hay based pellet with pea flakes corn flakes oats and the occasional raisin there. Our first piggie parcels parcel just arrived today and this will certainly replace some of it but they like to play with the balls that you fill with treats and little wobbly egg toys that leafy or flowery forage just don't work for and as they have this somewhat regularly I like to avoid dried fruit because of the sugar content.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
Good for you asking questions and giving serious consideration to the commitment needed for guinea pigs

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Sweet Potato Oats is usually used with piggies who aren’t maintaining their weight, and pea flakes are an occasional treat. Corn flakes I don’t think should be fed them either. Raisins aren’t something piggies should eat either. So on that note I wouldn’t be giving it at all, much less several times weekly.