• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How much time in the indoor run!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Inspired by this forum I have made an indoor run for my 2 guinea pigs. I have a couple of questions - they are only 9 months old and don't seem to like it much - I have put an area with hay and a cocoon thing and they just seem to stay in there - is this usual untill they get used to it?
It was so cosy in there that I let them stay in there all night - is this OK to do or should they definitely have 2 separate areas ie a hutch for sleeping and a run for running about!
Hope these questions don't seem too silly!
Nicky

Great that you've set up an indoor run. It can take a while for guinea pigs to be confident in a new space. You can try scattering some favourite food and perhaps put more tubes and boxes so they have place to hide in as they explore. You could also peg a piece of fleece to the hides so they can tunnel underneath.
Is your hutch outdoors? The only concern I would have is the change in temperature going from one to the other.

No question is too silly btw. :(|)

Thanks for your reply.
At the moment the hutch is outside. What I was thinking of was putting the hutch in the garage/utility room and putting them in their at night. I have got a silver cover thing for the hutch and was going to put some blankets over it as well.
Does it matter how long the guineas stay in the run? Do guineas just like to be in places where there are no stimulii for periods of time?

Nicky

I don't think it matters how long they are in the run. When my guinea pigs have had enough of exploring they just find a spot and have a nap. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back