• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How much veggies to give

Zhi Heng

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I read most articles on this site which recommends 30 to 50g of veggies per piggy daily, but am really confuse why many popular guinea pig channels like Little Adventures which has few hundred thousands subscribers recommends feeding mass of veggies at at least 10% of their weight? Yet no one in the comments seem to point it out, even when they feed alot carrots, tomatoes etc which I was told to limit to twice a week at most only, but she feed 3 big carrots to 5 piggies in just a single day? I'm confused as to how much is the actual recommended amt, cuz I'm stuck between the contradictory recommendations.

That is a good question.
The problem with the Internet in general is that most of it is not policed at all, so people can post whatever they want to.

I have always found the best diet guide to be this one:
Diet Guides

It is very clear with pictures (which I find helps a lot) and seems sensible.

I think all you can do is find a guide you trust and that makes sense to you, and go with that.

@Swissgreys thank you so much for your reply, I have read the article n wanted to ask if it's okay to feed dark green veggies like Spinach/water cress/kang Kong/chye sim as part of their diet on a daily basis (abt 20g per piggy) cuz I understand that the daily diet included coriander/ parsley which is much higher in calcium:/ wonder if I can feed dark green veggies daily instead when I'm not feeding the coriander on those weeks.

I'm afraid that I don't know what kang kong and chye sum are but too much spinach isn't recommended due to its high calcium content.

I feed the sample diet as mentioned in the diet guide above adding in things like spinach, watercress, mini corn coblets and parsley as a rare treat. I ran all things by my vet who gave me the thumbs up and have been feeding the same diet for over 3 years. I trust the advise of my vet over anything I read online

I have 4 piggies. They get 2 mugs of veggies in the morning and evening between them and I mix up what I give. The pigs are a healthy weight. I used to weigh but found it much easier using a mug.

The link above is good too.

@Claire W hi but the sample diet includes coriander too leh.. (one sprig of it) n I understand that coriander has higher calcium than dark green veggies like Spinach cuz it's a herb?

Back