• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Much Water Should I Expect My Gps To Drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've read that not drinking can be a sign of illness. Just wondered how much water it is normal to expect my piggies to drink in the first place?

Also we have 3 living together (we are new to having them) and have observed each use the water bottle on different days so know they all can. I presume regular observation is the only way to check all are continuing to drink?

All of our 3 are relatively young.

Hi, "PiggySmitten" there is no set rule, it varies with each piggy and their diet. If you give them a lot of leafy greens, those contain a lot of water and also cucumbers. Mine used to prefer those to water, and he was fine, and he also did drink water. It's really what they prefer. Just keep an eye out. I noticed that before they eat pellets, they like some form of hydration. Since you have three piggies, why not give them each a bottle of water, this way, there's always water for all of them when they want it, and maybe you might be able to monitor who's drinking what. It's worth a try? I consider my tap water to be pretty vile, I don't drink it, and definitely wouldn't offer it to a guinea pig. Would you consider spring water? It's relatively cheap and a gallon lasts a while. It might also save you quite a bit in vet bills in the long run.
Thanks,
Alexis

Thanks for the spring water tip. I'll look into that although our tap water seems actually fine. I drink it often. I read somewhere not to give filtered water and we do have a water filter on our fridge so I have avoided giving them that.

We have 2 water bottles in at present but I've noticed they all strangely will use only the blue one and not the red - even when I move location and the bottles are identical apart from colour!

They do get a lot of grass and veg and I have noticed they drink virtually nothing when out in the run on grass for a few hours.

I am just in the process of slowly changing over their food from a muesli style to excel nuggets so I suppose that might affect how much liquid they want.

Hey there, I have 6 pigs in 4 different habitats and the amount of water they drink varies. My avatar is Caesar and he is about 6/7 months old and my most active cavy...he drinks about 30 oz of water every 36 hrs but my 3 month old Flynn only drinks around 8 oz every 60 hrs. My sows Bailey and Dott drink 30 oz every 72 hrs. So it really varies ... i guess they are like us! Some of us drink alot of water and are active and some don't drink any. I hope this helps!

Water in the UK is fine although some people filter it in certain areas, we have never felt the need.

Piggies do drink a varying amount of water depending on if they have had wet veg or the weather may be hotter. Ours have a favourite water bottle too and will queue for it rather than use the other one :))

In addition, i've heard that putting vitamins or anything in their water can turn them off from drinking it...just a FYI that you're probably aware of. Once the water is fresh and made available i wouldn't worry unless they are showing other symptoms possibly related to hydration/dehydration.

Water in the UK is fine although some people filter it in certain areas, we have never felt the need.

Piggies do drink a varying amount of water depending on if they have had wet veg or the weather may be hotter. Ours have a favourite water bottle too and will queue for it rather than use the other one :))

I didnt know that they could choose a favorite water bottle ... thier little personalities are so awesome once they settle in and are comfortable!

I didnt know that they could choose a favorite water bottle ... thier little personalities are so awesome once they settle in and are comfortable!

No neither did I, but one is always preferred! It must be location based to be honest it is by the food bowl and Cookie likes to have a drink then eat some pellets and repeat....

No neither did I, but one is always preferred! It must be location based to be honest it is by the food bowl and Cookie likes to have a drink then eat some pellets and repeat....
I put a bowl of water next to pellets as mine like to drink between eating pellets too. It is so cute!

I thought that water from a bowl was not an option because of how easily it gets contaminated with droppings, soiled bedding, dirt etc?
I change it each time it is dirty. The bedding I use is vetbed so it never contaminated the water. What usually happens is bits of pellets spoil the water but I just change it.

Oh okay, good to know! Actually, that would have been so useful to know a couple of weeks ago when i rescued a baby aby from an abandoned apartment my uncle owned. He was alone in a cage with no food bowl or water bottle and the pet store was closed. i had to rig up a water bottle using supplies from a little appliance store around the corner. The owner had moved out and left him behind!

Oh okay, good to know! Actually, that would have been so useful to know a couple of weeks ago when i rescued a baby aby from an abandoned apartment my uncle owned. He was alone in a cage with no food bowl or water bottle and the pet store was closed. i had to rig up a water bottle using supplies from a little appliance store around the corner. The owner had moved out and left him behind!
Oh how awful! What a cruel thing to do. Poor thing.

Hi, "Caymancavy" what happened to the rescued piggy? Is he alright?
Yup, i still have him...his name is Flynn and he is perfect! He is a bit on the shy side though and unfortunatly alone because my other boars won't except him...they just fight him off but he is close to my Ella and seems to be getting along great...they cant touch eachother only chat and smell (dont want any mating!).

Hi, "Cayman". Brilliant ! Flynn is your perfect piggy. I'm so happy for you and Flynn. I remember a thread where someone found a piggy wandering around the street. Sometimes reality gets so warped that it becomes unreal. So glad you saved him. No photo? I commend you for not neutering Flynn. I hear talk about "wife pig" and "husband pig" and I think it's silly. He seems alright just the way he is. Excellent work.
Thanks,
Alexis

Hi, "Cayman". Brilliant ! Flynn is your perfect piggy. I'm so happy for you and Flynn. I remember a thread where someone found a piggy wandering around the street. Sometimes reality gets so warped that it becomes unreal. So glad you saved him. No photo? I commend you for not neutering Flynn. I hear talk about "wife pig" and "husband pig" and I think it's silly. He seems alright just the way he is. Excellent work.
Thanks,
Alexis
My mooli is neutered and is very happy living with my sows. If neutering a boar means he has company then that is positive.

Thanks,
Alexis

flynn 2.JPG

Thanks, i always try to do what i can! I just love animals. I know what you mean about this warping world! That's Flynn there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back