• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

How often do you guys cut your guinea pigs nails?

beckyxxx

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi guys, I was just curious as to how often you cut your guinea pigs nails? I personally don’t trust myself to cut them, so I take them to my local groomer and she does a really good job! I get my boys done every 2 months or so, I was wondering if that was about right? I don’t really know where the cut of point is for the nails and I just tend to take them every couple of months and she never says they are too over grown :)

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2017/18
I check mine every week at their health check and weigh in, then trim any that look like they need doing. I found cutting a full set at once was hard as they get very fidgety, even with two of us doing it.

beckyxxx

Junior Guinea Pig
Yeah , my partner isn’t confident in holding our boys and I’m not confidnent enough to cut and hold, as they wriggle a lot so just find it easier to take them to the groomers together to be done :)

daveclark79

Junior Guinea Pig
I've just cut my fellas today, I do them approximately every six weeks, but he has one front paw all black with an exceedingly curly nail on it so check that all the time, he had a curly one on his other front paw that he managed to pull off somehow at Christmas, which is just starting to get to the point where I can trim it again.

beckyxxx

Junior Guinea Pig
Awwww , his curly toe doesn’t seem to bother him but you think it needs a trim. My other boy has black nails so don’t dare do them myself. Last time I tried he kept pulling it away and nearly taking his toe off so I just don’t dare anymore

helloitsbecca

Forum Donator 2017/18
My piggies nails start to curl whilst they are still short
Same! Both my boys have 1 nail on each paw that goes curly naturally even when short, it’s super annoying to cut.

In answer to the original Q, I cut my boys nails fully once a month and trim the curly nails as required (with difficulty might I add!). I am quite lucky, both my boys used to be really wriggly when nail cutting but now I can hold them with one hand and do it. Even William who is a bit bitey.....