• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Often Do You Spot Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mummyfi2010

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am only 2 weeks into being a piggy owner and I was wondering how often everyone spot cleans their cage? We have 2 piggies in a 4 x 2 C&C cage. I currently use newspaper, puppy pads and back to nature in the areas they pee & poo often and cardboard bedding everywhere else. Currently I've being doing it twice a day but I wonder if I only need to do it once a day? I take everything out and clean it throughly weekly.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I spot clean at least once a day or as and when needed. That includes replacing wet bedding with fresh.

I do a full cage clean once a week

I also have 2 piggies in a 4 x 2 C&C cage. I bed on fleece. I spot clean twice a day - they poo mostly in their houses and wee and poo in their litter tray. I tip the poo off the pads umder their houses twice a day (before each meal), and clean out their litter tray every 24-36 hours. I do a full cage clean onve a week.

I spot clean and empty litter trays daily and do a full clean once a week.

When I had mine on disposable bedding I would spot clean once a day, and then do a full clean once a week.
I have to say that now I find fleece easier to spot clean, but I can also see that it isn't for everyone.
But it sounds like you have 2 lucky piggies there with a decent sized C&C and an obviously devoted owner.

Mine are on puppy pads. I change wet pads a couple or 3 times a day, clean their beds twice a day changing all the hay too.

Hi. I spot clean my 2 pigs on a daily basis, collecting all the poo I can see and getting up any wet chippings I can see. I also partly change their hay but leave some of the old to make sure they still have some of the normal smell about. I do a full cage clean on a weekly basis as well.
I am managing to get my pigs out onto the grass for a short time in the afternoons when I am not working so this also means the hutch gets less dirty and gets a good air as well. I make sure I leave all the doors open while the pigs aren't in it so mould doesn't grow and to help with any smells.
As my pigs live outside, I make sure I put plenty of bedding and hay in as well so they are nice and cosy. They will be going into a hutch inside a shed when the weather gets too bad.

i have 4 piggies and spot clean daily, and change puppy pads daily or every two days if they haven't made as much mess on the pads. They are on fleece in one area, which I change weekly, though sometimes twice a week if it is particularly in a mess. Then in the second area I have newspaper, then aubiose then hay, which I top up with new hay every 1-2 days and clean out completely once a week.

Thanks everyone! It nice to see that everyone is doing a bit different, I gues you need to do what suits your piggies and your life.

Mine are on cage liners. I spot clean usually 2x daily. But if in the room and they're needing tidied up I just do it again. Lol.

I do it every morning after I get up. Hope that helps :)

My girls live in the lounge and I spot clean each time I walk past and see stray poops :tu:

Ive started to spot clean twice a day in the last couple of days because at the end of the day there is so much poo it takes forever to spot clean but is much more manageable for me to spot clean twice daily. Fleece pee pads get washed every 3 days. I do a whole cage clean once a week or before if they are getting on the nose.

I do a thorough cleaning out once a week or twice if it is required. I spot clean twice a day and shake his fleece to rid it of hay in the morning and at night- he has hay constantly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back